• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/6-3/7 storm?

twinplanx

There still seems to be a fair amount of uncertainty with this system. Is there any hope of it curling back for that left hook for the MRV?

octopus

it's windy here in watertown mass. i predict it will be windy or not windy for the next 24 hrs, and possibly rainy or snowy for at least 27 minutes, also surf could be up to 40' or not. i've lost my mind

legalskier

it's windy here in watertown mass. i predict it will be windy or not windy for the next 24 hrs, and possibly rainy or snowy for at least 27 minutes, also surf could be up to 40' or not. i've lost my mind

I know, right? I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and/or Friday and even now I have no idea whether to go west, northwest or north.
:spin:

octopus

once again, no forecast for boston.

on a lighter note, the weather channel played "why you wanna give me the run around song" before the commercial break. who sings that?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

OMG this is freaking hysterical.... The 00z NAM has about 12 inches of snow in for NJ in the 2nd part of this storm.

Yeah, like ANYONE is going to believe that now. It's like the boy who cried wolf....and then cried wolf again...and again.... and......

ScottySkis

OMG this is freaking hysterical.... The 00z NAM has about 12 inches of snow in for NJ in the 2nd part of this storm.

Yeah, like ANYONE is going to believe that now. It's like the boy who cried wolf....and then cried wolf again...and again.... and......
Crazy shit .

octopus

winter storm saturn boston forecast......action map forecast?........wtf! thank you weather channel

abc

Well, weather we get snow or not, at least no "r" word ever mentioned anywhere, right?

Given most mountains now have a half way decent base, I'm happy enough to get to keep what we already have without losing any, with or without adding to it.

drjeff

I've currently got 35 degrees at my house in NE Ct at an elevation of about 800 ft. Just some occasional drizzle in the air, with some relatively frequent wind gusts in the 30-35mph range out of the East. I'm in one of the areas that most METS have singled out as likely to have heavier accumulations from storm Saturn. My local MET, who is usually pretty accurate with his snowfall estimates for storms hitting my area, is calling for maybe 1-2" of a slushy mix overnight tonight, light on/off rain during the daylight hours tomorrow, and then maybe 2-4" of snow falling tomorrow night into Friday AM - a bit less than many of the national METS have forcasted for my area (i'm in what most have seemed to think will be a 6-10" range).

My gut instinct is that just like happened in the Washington DC area today, where this storm really underperformed for snowfall totals because of more warm air integration as the low really started to "feed" off the Atlantic, that that is what we'll be looking at for the NJ/NY and southern New England areas as storm Saturn moves across the area. There just isn't enough of a pool of significantly COLD air to the North to be drawn into this system IMHO

BenedictGomez

Well, weather we get snow or not, at least no "r" word ever mentioned anywhere, right?

Given most mountains now have a half way decent base, I'm happy enough to get to keep what we already have without losing any, with or without adding to it.

No, it's cold enough in the mountains that if there is precip it will be snow. And I'm at the "happy it's cold" and there's snow preservation too after what happened last March. I wouldnt give up all hope that the mountains couldnt get at least a few inches tomorrow evening though. Every little bit helps, even the small potatoes.

BenedictGomez

Some possible good news. In terms of the myriad of weather wonks, I have to say this guy is very, very knowledgeable.

I have seen this sort of set up before and what I believe is going to happen is that we will see some sort of boundary close to the Connecticut River Valley over Central New England. The Connecticut River pre much splits New England in half and west of the Connecticut River the terrain really rises quite rapidly. As a result I do believe that over the HIGH the peaks of the Catskills northwest CT and southern VT and Western MASS There could be as much as 12 to 16 inches of snow. In some ways this sort of of reminds me of the blizzard 1888 where we had a strong frontogenetic boundary that ran north to south across New England . In the blizzard 1888 areas east of the boundary saw a lot less snowfall and more rain ... while areas west of the boundary got hammered with huge amounts of snow .

gggggggggggggggggggggggtc.jpg

D-2.5-GT

No, it's cold enough in the mountains that if there is precip it will be snow. And I'm at the "happy it's cold" and there's snow preservation too after what happened last March. I wouldnt give up all hope that the mountains couldnt get at least a few inches tomorrow evening though. Every little bit helps, even the small potatoes.

Maybe for this pattern, but most places even in No. NH are calling for rain on tuesday...

Euler

Wathing the radar and reading the posts by various weather wonks has me wondering if Berkshire East might wind up a big winner today/tonight

Hado226

Wathing the radar and reading the posts by various weather wonks has me wondering if Berkshire East might wind up a big winner today/tonight

Might be a very long day for us tomorrow! Bell to bell is 13 hours, oh my aching legs :)