• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Teen lost at Sugarloaf

BenedictGomez

Are you guys watching it on TV or something because all I can find online are the basics.

It was on FoxNews. They interviewed some police dude from Maine. Apparently the snowpack in the area was about 4.5 to 5 feet, so building a snowcave was probably pretty easy.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I've never understood WTH the recco sensors actually did. I should google that. How would that apply in a situation like this? What'st he range on the Recco transponder?
Roughly 20 meters, so it's not going to help find anyone lost on a mountain. While billed as a safety device, it's really a body recovery tool.

loafasaur

WMTW has quite a bit of detail. Looks like once this kid realized he was lost he REALLY kept his cool. Built a snow cave and stayed in it 2 nights. He stayed put waiting to be rescued. He didn't get sweaty and exhausted--probably saved his own life that way. One infers that he made excursions from his cave looking for a way out but made staying put a priority. He eventually found snowshoe tracks near his cave and followed them to Caribou Pond Rd.
http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/Snow...loaf/-/8792012/19165184/-/ncs65q/-/index.html

Sounds like a searcher came real close without finding him. Airhorns, maybe?

Wonderful ending to a grim story.

Bene288

I've never understood WTH the recco sensors actually did. I should google that. How would that apply in a situation like this? What'st he range on the Recco transponder?

From what I've read they deploy an aerial signal from a helicopter and it's supposed to bounce back an give a general idea of where the sensor is located. It's a passive sensor, meaning it doesn't need a battery.

Really glad the found the kid.

Website
www.nebackcountry.blogspot.com
I really thought this was going to end badly. Teenagers aren't exactly known for keeping their cool and making great decisions but this kid is a case study on what to do after you get lost. I'm really glad for his family and hope ALOT of people hear his story so that it gets drilled into their heads:

Even though your instinct is to search and search and search for a way out... Most of the time after you get hopelessly lost your best bet at survival is securing water and shelter and staying put until conditions improve or searchers locate you.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The sad thing is that he had learned these techniques through reality TV. It's too bad they won't pay attention to real training. I guess that's the way to do it. Embed the knowledge into their heads without them even knowing it.

It's too bad you can't get them to stop making bad decision to begin with.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's too bad you can't get them to stop making bad decision to begin with.

From what I've heard it sounds like this kid made an honest mistake and did not realize, until it was too late, that he had followed a set of tracks out of bounds. I could be wrong, or there may be more recent info, but the Wardens made it sound like he was not clearly in the wrong here or intentionally riding out of bounds, which is in contrast to the many other folks that we have been discussing this year who knowingly went out of bounds (past obvious signs and fences) and got in over their heads.

I'm willing to bet that Sugarloaf ski patrol will be going along that boundary now and checking their markers/signage in order to prevent other folks from doing the same thing.

Smellytele

From what I've heard it sounds like this kid made an honest mistake and did not realize, until it was too late, that he had followed a set of tracks out of bounds. I could be wrong, or there may be more recent info, but the Wardens made it sound like he was not clearly in the wrong here or intentionally riding out of bounds, which is in contrast to the many other folks that we have been discussing this year who knowingly went out of bounds (past obvious signs and fences) and got in over their heads.

I'm willing to bet that Sugarloaf ski patrol will be going along that boundary now and checking their markers/signage in order to prevent other folks from doing the same thing.

Well he was skiing in trees/woods/glades alone which is a mistake.