• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

ScottySkis

You guys missed some seriously crazy shit powder today!!! Being from SE Idaho, I'll admit I'm still a bit of a snow snob, and this snow was impeccable! My pals and I got there for first chair, and we had the place to ourselves most of the day. Untracked all over until 11 easily. Mostly about a foot all over, but there were definitely some knee+ deep pockets. Pretty funny watching one of my buddies who had never boarded in powder :)

View attachment 8128

View attachment 8129

View attachment 8130

View attachment 8131

View attachment 8132
Cheese! (Or steeze? Dunno...)

So..... I have to say this, although Platty is hands down the coolest hill I've been to so far, as far as atmosphere and people, I just have to question the validity of their run classifications. Those were some seriously 'non-black' blacks/doubles - I'm not an expert skier, and I've only ventured down a double once, and it was a cliffline out west....

what gives?

Glad you got the powder today and Platty virus has hit you. I heard from their blog that someone was calling it British Columbia Powder and they were are from the West. Black here are not as steep as the west and it is mostly just a way of ratings for each individual place. Usually here 2 diamond just means icy moguls and or just a mess, some places in Stowe migth have legitimate black diamonds that compared to the west, I know they have back county at Stowe like the west but I haven't done it yet.

Rambo

Glad you got the powder today and Platty virus has hit you. I heard from their blog that someone was calling it British Columbia Powder and they were are from the West. Black here are not as steep as the west and it is mostly just a way of ratings for each individual place. Usually here 2 diamond just means icy moguls and or just a mess, some places in Stowe migth have legitimate black diamonds that compared to the west, I know they have back county at Stowe like the west but I haven't done it yet.
Nice dissertation, Professor Scotty

BenedictGomez

I have a 2 for 1 from gas rewards. I want to come and hang out with you guys! The girlfriend wants to go to Belleayre, but if she bails I'll come to Plattekill.

She chooses Belleayre over Plattekill?

I'm seriously questioning this relationship.

Bene288

She's never been to Plattekill and has a thing with going to new mountains short notice. She doesn't like not knowing the terrain I guess.

BenedictGomez

Have fun. How the conditions? Left side trails still have snow?
Dust on crust in a lot of places.

These are the days the groomers earn their keep i suppose. Everything that was groomed if skiing pretty well. Even non groomed is getting better as folks crust bust. Good day all-in-all even though it's only 20/38.

ScottySkis

I vote for this spot to be the A zone official meet up spot at Platty? we could vote on it.
attachment.php
:razz::razz::razz:

ScottySkis

On Platty Facebook's page an hour ago, powder mid week day coming, maybe tomorrow, maybe Wednesday, or Thursday, I cant go but hopefully some A zoner can have a great snowy day mid week this week.!!!:thumbup::thumbup::):):):cool::cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: