• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

ScottySkis

So while on Platty website today killing time at work I noticed that in the season passes for next season a pass for Platty comes with a free lift ticket to Magic good for next season and discounts to other area mountains including 1 for Magic. I so be down if i find out it like 20% off Hunter or night lift ticket discount to Mountain Creek or handful of other hills. Any one know the answer?

http://plattekill.com/rates/season-passes
DISCOUNTED tickets to other area mountains including 1 FREE LIFT TICKET FOR 2014-15 TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN!!! - See more at: http://plattekill.com/rates/season-passes#sthash.FDd2RSjn.dpuf
DISCOUNTED tickets to other area mountains including 1 FREE LIFT TICKET FOR 2014-15 TO MAGIC MOUNTAIN!!! - See more at: http://plattekill.com/rates/season-passes#sthash.FDd2RSjn.dpuf

ScottySkis

Their adding new snow making on left (expert trails) hill.

Plattekill Mountain

Yesterday

Snowmaking pipeline getting prepped for welding...look closely at pic and you can see where it is going
#plattekill #skiresort #bikepark #skiing #mountainbiking #snowmakingimprovements

Plattekill Mountain

Yesterday June 102014

10463041_10152511149907363_1255684585830875235_n.jpg

BenedictGomez

I was surprised when I saw that yesterday.

Of all the places you could put snowmaking at Platty, given the needs, why the heck go to Giant Slalom? Seems like a weird decision to me. Maybe because it's so small they figure it's an easy "get open" trail?

ScottySkis

More snow making info came out a few weeks ago.

THINKING SNOW? We are! Snowmaking pipe headed up the mountain to top of Giant Slalom, Ridge Run and Twist...this is a BIG DEAL for Platty! All of course for YOUR skiing and riding pleasure!

Snowmaking: 75%

NEW for 2013-14
v Adding 30 NEW GUNS with all NEW SNOWMAKING on Upper Plunge Trail + more snowguns on Upper Sundown & PowderPuff.
vUpgrading all existing air/water snowguns to energy efficient guns.
vExpanding our Learning Center Terrain to allow more room for our “Snowkidding Childrens Learning Area”
v Offering ‘Learn to Tele’ Packages – with private lesson & rental combo packages
vUpgrading Ticketing Systems
v Several Base lodge improvements
vAdding a variety of new menu items to the ‘Mountain Bistro’
- See more at: http://plattekill.com/about-plattekill/about-us-stats#sthash.4sRF6f8V.dpuf

ScottySkis

pictures of new snow making guns:
Top of Plunge
jpeg
jpeg
top of Upper Ridge Run

9(these pictures were copied from an email I got )

Last edited:

ScottySkis

More pictures from today of new guns from their facebook page. Maybe I should buy a pass.

Moving right along, 1st tower mounted gun officially installed.
Per Ops Dept "getting it done"....roger that, winter is COMING!

10325613_10152709694512363_4281671905483357313_n.jpg

BenedictGomez

More pictures from today of new guns from their facebook page. Maybe I should buy a pass.

Moving right along, 1st tower mounted gun officially installed.
Per Ops Dept "getting it done"....roger that, winter is COMING!

10325613_10152709694512363_4281671905483357313_n.jpg

A tower-mounted fan gun! That's sexy.

Only thing I'm not sure I get is why put it on Face given that's already Platty's snowmaking stronghold. Unless maybe they took an asset away from there and redeployed it elsewhere (i.e. upgraded Face snowmaking, and put the "lesser gun" somewhere else).

x10003q

A tower-mounted fan gun! That's sexy.

Only thing I'm not sure I get is why put it on Face given that's already Platty's snowmaking stronghold. Unless maybe they took an asset away from there and redeployed it elsewhere (i.e. upgraded Face snowmaking, and put the "lesser gun" somewhere else).

I seem to remember Platty using portable snowmaking cannons on the triple side. That is a mighty wide trail especially at the intersection with Sundown.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I seem to remember Platty using portable snowmaking cannons on the triple side. That is a mighty wide trail especially at the intersection with Sundown.

Upper Face has tower mounted air-water guns on both sides of the wide trail. You are correct, that they used to use portable fan guns on Lower Face. There was one tower mounted fan gun in the middle of Face at the intersection with Sundown. This will be a nice improvement and it will greatly reduce the man hours needed to make snow on the triple side since they won't have to move and (re)position the guns. It will also enable them to use the portable fan guns on other terrain.

BenedictGomez

It will also enable them to use the portable fan guns on other terrain.

I was hoping that was the explanation, because to just add more snowmaking in that area to what they already had would be overkill. It seemed to me the snowmaking there was "overdone" last year IMO, but perhaps I'm wrong.

BenedictGomez

Great writeup and review of Plattekill. It's not often I agree with every word of a review, but this was well-done.

Short synopsis

Plattekill Mountain is the natural snow capital of the Catskills. Plattekill is perfectly located to catch lake effect snow. There are no higher peaks between Plattekill’s 3500’ summit and the Lake Ontario, meaning then when lake effect snow bands roll in from the west, they smack into the large catcher’s mitt that is Plattekill and drop snow…lots of snow.

Full version

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/ski-resorts/usa/new-york/plattekill.aspx

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Nice article. But, if you or anyone else shows up and wants to ski, you will be able to buy a lift ticket. The only thing that limits ticket sales at Platty is the parking lot. But, I've seen cars parked almost 1 mile down the road, so that is not even limiting. With that said, there are never lift lines.

BenedictGomez

Nice article. But, if you or anyone else shows up and wants to ski, you will be able to buy a lift ticket. The only thing that limits ticket sales at Platty is the parking lot. But, I've seen cars parked almost 1 mile down the road, so that is not even limiting. With that said, there are never lift lines.

Good point, I didn't understand that comment, or at least, if Platty does restrict lift tickets sold it's news to me. And when the hades would that ever need to happen? Even on the days when cars are parked far down the road (1 mile though? That seems a bit much, that really happened?) there's not more than a 1 minute lift "line" anyway.

Jersey Skier

Good point, I didn't understand that comment, or at least, if Platty does restrict lift tickets sold it's news to me. And when the hades would that ever need to happen? Even on the days when cars are parked far down the road (1 mile though? That seems a bit much, that really happened?) there's not more than a 1 minute lift "line" anyway.

Yes, this really happened a few times. Still no lift lines. Line to get a beer is a totally different story. That could take you 20 minutes.

ScottySkis

Seats in the lodge were fillled by relatives not skiing or mountain snowboarding just sitting a lot this past winter. that ok with me lunch and mj break at platty in my car is perfectly great to see ppl at the hill go Lasko putting money back into his hill with snowguns this winter and tickey for magic with season pass i might buy this winter. I wonder when snowmaking off new ocean on top of the hill will be used ?

10610742_10152750492272363_7796004237702199081_n.jpg
pond.jpg

Last edited:

x10003q

I measured a .8 mile line of cars on Sunday, Feb 16, 2014.

Here is the trip report. It was the Sunday of Presidents' Week.

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Plattekill-Sunday-2-16-2014-td4036922.html