• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

hippiechick

I'm impressed, you came down from Albany to ski Platty!

Hope the storm delivers and you have a nice day.

Why? It's not that far. My other mountain of choice so far is Mt Snow, and that's farther. What are my other options - Jiminy? Yeah right, sucka. Too $ for not a great hill.
And thanks, I'm hoping the weather doesn't screw with the snow that's going to be dumped. I like the fact that Platty doesn't open all week, so you can still end up with fresh even after a few days pass.

ScottySkis

Why? It's not that far. My other mountain of choice so far is Mt Snow, and that's farther. What are my other options - Jiminy? Yeah right, sucka. Too $ for not a great hill.
And thanks, I'm hoping the weather doesn't screw with the snow that's going to be dumped. I like the fact that Platty doesn't open all week, so you can still end up with fresh even after a few days pass.

As much as I love Platty, if I was you and lived close to Gore is huge with Plaaty vibe, and so is Magic vibe and few people to. Oh platty migth open this week mid week, FYI.

abc

I was thinking of Gore. Is it further away?

I like the fact that Platty doesn't open all week, so you can still end up with fresh even after a few days pass
Yes, that's one of the biggest plus of Platty!

And the $29 deal is still on so it's really quite a very good value. I hope the storm delivers for you! :D

hippiechick

It's about the same distance, I think. I haven't been there yet, but I think it's about an hour and 45. Wyndham and Hunter are only an hour away, but I have sentimental reasons NOT to go to those right now...

When I lived in Idaho, 95% of the time I went to Targhee, and it was 2 hours. So it's no big deal to me to travel a couple hours for good conditions.

ScottySkis

It's about the same distance, I think. I haven't been there yet, but I think it's about an hour and 45. Wyndham and Hunter are only an hour away, but I have sentimental reasons NOT to go to those right now...

When I lived in Idaho, 95% of the time I went to Targhee, and it was 2 hours. So it's no big deal to me to travel a couple hours for good conditions.

From Albany Gore is less then an hour, you love the Hugh hill much bigger then MT. Snow lots great trails, not a lot of people it really is like another great hill.

x10003q

I love Plattekill but depending where in Albany you live you might be closer to Bromley, Magic, and Stratton and Gore is most certainly an easier drive. Bromley, Stratton, and Magic seem to be an easier drive than Mt Snow(IMHO). All are empty midweek. Go where the snow hits.

hippiechick

Can't ditch work this week. That's why Platty is ideal because they won't be open to get all blasted out.

abc

Can't ditch work this week. That's why Platty is ideal because they won't be open to get all blasted out.
Yea, that's a big consideration.

But in case the snow/rain line is less than ideal for Platty, keep in mind Magic is another weekend-only place (and Pico only opens from Thursday on). Those are options for the weekend warriors.

BenedictGomez

I love Platty, but Gore is a substantially better hill in terms of terrain. Will be hitting Gore on Saturday, fingers crossed that the woods will be open after this.

ScottySkis

Yea, that's a big consideration.

But in case the snow/rain line is less than ideal for Platty, keep in mind Magic is another weekend-only place (and Pico only opens from Thursday on). Those are options for the weekend warriors.

Their opening tomorrow for.powder raise, you should go ABC Get some powder .:thumbup::thumbup::):):):cool::cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer:

abc

Their opening tomorrow for.powder raise, you should go ABC Get some powder .:thumbup::thumbup::):):):cool::cool::cool::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer:

I wish but it aren't going to happen. 1) the roads will probably be a mess and it'll take ages to get there. 2) I can't afford another day off. I'm taking the whole week off next week.

Why does the storm come the week I'm not going to be around? Wish it came last week. But I really shouldn't complain. I got a day in on my xc ski yesterday in the Berkshires. Pancake for lunch then more skiing again...

And I'm going to Montana Saturday. Poor me. ;)

ScottySkis

Plattty is officially not opening today for a powder day today. It is on their home page, hopefully some A zoners get to enjoy white snowy trails Friday, I need to hear trip reports please.:thumbup::thumbup::):):thumbup::thumbup:;);):D:thumbup:
They are not opening today. Platty didn't get the snow amount of 10 inches they were expecting last night. On their website this morning it said they were opening but now they are not. Looks like a great powder day there this Friday.:thumbdown:

Last edited:

ScottySkis

So when do we think the huge huge snow making pond will be used, maybe by next winter? Anyone know would help me with a decision of buying a season pass their.