• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 3/7/13 & 3/8/13

dmw

Just a quick report and a couple thoughts / questions on Wachusett:

I shot out yesterday afternoon to see if any of the snow was piling up. Great afternoon, tracks filling in, drifting into deepish spots. I could barely tear myself away around when the lights came on, but had already been contemplating heading out the following morning, and with the way it was dumping, I bailed to return in the morning.

Definitely paid off. First run down Smith had powder blown in on skiers right trapped by a grooming ridge that felt a few feet deep. Lots of awesome snow everywhere, lots of bonus lines / cut-throughs / "secret" spots in awesome shape. Which brings up a few thoughts - I've read the other threads on here about woods policy etc there, but everyone seems to be in them, pretty openly. Does anyone know patrol's current thinking and policy, has it eased? Any thoughts on whether if everyone just continues to do it it'll reach an undeniable critical mass, or cause a crackdown? I know much of the time there's not enough snow either way, but for now there's plenty. As a passholder I probably contemplate these things too much.

Overall great days. These coming off 2 days at Jay and a day at Burke earlier in the week... tired legs.....

dmw

I don't know how this ended up in Non-Northeast...... My computer is showing it as in both Northeast and Non-Northeast... but it's not. Weird.

soulseller

I've had a wa pass for 5-6 years now, I'm pretty sure they are not changing their policy on woods skiing. As far as I know they are under pressure from environmental and conservation groups to keep the woods untouched. I just read on another forum about the woods being tracked out early today so it would appear that today was a bit of a 'hall pass' kind of day but I would not expect it to become the norm.