Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Question Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

I was talking about skiing into April and our son chimed in stating that the ski season is done! From his point of view, all of the best days of February are over and what is left will either be super soft wet snow or snow that has frozen and not carveable. Keep in mind he does not ski groomers unless he has to!

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part. While I will take anything just to keep going, he does not want to go any more since it is so boring! He will do pond skims! BTW, he is also not an early season skier since nothing is in the woods or on steeper chutes!

So how many see ski season as January to early March and how many will ski in November through May if they can?

I, for one, will ski in May if there is something open! If not, then Tucks!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Is my life over because I'm turning 50?

Hardly... It's over when it's over...

I'm an October to June skier. As far as I'm concerned, spring skiing is a whole different ball game. There's skiing in the heart of winter and there's spring skiing. Skiing in corn snow, in a t-shirt and girl watching on the porch. I'll ski the resorts until the last lift stops spinning in May then hike for turns until no turns can be had on Mt. Washington in June.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I was talking about skiing into April and our son chimed in stating that the ski season is done! From his point of view, all of the best days of February are over and what is left will either be super soft wet snow or snow that has frozen and not carveable. Keep in mind he does not ski groomers unless he has to!

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part. While I will take anything just to keep going, he does not want to go any more since it is so boring! He will do pond skims! BTW, he is also not an early season skier since nothing is in the woods or on steeper chutes!

So how many see ski season as January to early March and how many will ski in November through May if they can?

First it will snow again. At least one more big dump. While I partly agree with your son, especially the refreezing part after an early thaw like we're experiencing now, some of the best skiing is usually in March. April (and hopefully May) skiing is definitely spring mode. Not the best time (think beer and burger on the hill) but definitely better than no skiing !

+1 on above. I too have a gut feeling that we will get one more big dump. I remember one year back in the mid '80s Vt, NH and Maine got about 3' of snow right around St. Patty's day. I skied Sugarloaf mid-april - 100% open and Tuckermans Ravine in late May.
    form is a 4 letter word

One of the best powder days I ever had was about 4-5 years ago on April 5 at the Loaf. Almost 3 ft fell overnight & there was no wind so the snow stayed were it fell. The best part was nobody was there because unless you were staying on the mountain you couldn't get there.

I was under the impression that spring skiing is for the diehards, when the mountains bump up.

Bring your son to Wildcat anytime in April, and see if he gets bored.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    I was under the impression that spring skiing is for the diehards, when the mountains bump up.
    Last year Killington groomed Superstar top to bottom on the Fri. before they closed Sun. April 22. I was there.

Skiing in spring? What's wrong with you people!

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part.
    This couldn't be further from the truth. It's the opposite at most areas that remain open late into spring.

Thread Information