Additional snow = good water levels for Springtime paddling!

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Items for Sale

Still Need Mo H2O for Springtime/Summer paddling!

More snow on the ground will certainly be beneficial to us paddlers this year...wherever!(unlike last spring/summer of low water). Although water levels still looked down from eyesight over a few waterways but okay over others...

Last edited by bigbog; May 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM.
    SteveD

Tend to find it great for fishing too. No runoff = water warms up too quickly and you are catching early but the run is real inconsistent and the season doesn't last as long.

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Maybe I go again up on the Hudson so much fun.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by timm View Post
    Tend to find it great for fishing too. No runoff = water warms up too quickly and you are catching early but the run is real inconsistent and the season doesn't last as long.
    Yeah...you're right....and some brooks/streams up here, that aren't spring-fed, are bone dry in August when the Spring is a dry one....

Scotty: That's in the ADKs, near its headwaters.....y/n? Watched one of the festivals ~3-4yrs back as I was driving over to Old Forge.... Nice water....
    Last edited by bigbog; Mar 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM.
    SteveD

Yeah, I got out and paddled about two weeks ago. It was intended to be work....but when you're having that much fun does it count as work? The flows were up significantly by then, but now they've come up to the point that those same areas are unsafe. It really is nice to see the flows up so much. Not only is the volume and depth going to make a huge difference as compared to last year, but the velocities now are finally scouring some sediment that was deposited during all those low flows. That's good for paddling...

...and it's good for fish! Herring and smelt are in at many of the SE Mass rivers. Bass and blues aren't far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post

Scotty: That's in the ADKs, near its headwaters.....y/n? Watched one of the festivals ~3-4yrs back as I was driving over to Old Forge.... Nice water....
    Yes on the same road going to Gore but only about 20 miles from I 87, it starts off before the Hudson and goes into it. Lots of fun, they open dam on most trips, and with snow heavy this winter, water sure to be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Yes on the same road going to Gore but only about 20 miles from I 87, it starts off before the Hudson and goes into it. Lots of fun, they open dam on most trips, and with snow heavy this winter, water sure to be great.
    I think I've been on that trip before. Does it start at the Deer River before dumping into the Hudson?
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Bulldog View Post
    I think I've been on that trip before. Does it start at the Deer River before dumping into the Hudson?
    I don't remember the name of the river, but I know you raft for about 20 miles with some levels 4 . On side note my uncle jumped in the river for fun, but he was cold when the guide pulled him back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I don't remember the name of the river, but I know you raft for about 20 miles with some levels 4 . On side note my uncle jumped in the river for fun, but he was cold when the guide pulled him back in.
    Yup, that seems about right. I remember the class 4's and the Dam
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

Water was very low where I live last fall. We had a decent ice pack during the winter on the bay but it will be interesting to see how it effects fishing in my area (lake ontario). Im ready for a good fishin and relaxin season.

Thread Information