• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Additional snow = good water levels for Springtime paddling!

bigbog

Still Need Mo H2O for Springtime/Summer paddling!

More snow on the ground will certainly be beneficial to us paddlers this year...wherever!(unlike last spring/summer of low water). Although water levels still looked down from eyesight over a few waterways but okay over others...

Last edited:

timm

Tend to find it great for fishing too. No runoff = water warms up too quickly and you are catching early but the run is real inconsistent and the season doesn't last as long.

bigbog

Tend to find it great for fishing too. No runoff = water warms up too quickly and you are catching early but the run is real inconsistent and the season doesn't last as long.

Yeah...you're right....and some brooks/streams up here, that aren't spring-fed, are bone dry in August when the Spring is a dry one....

Scotty: That's in the ADKs, near its headwaters.....y/n? Watched one of the festivals ~3-4yrs back as I was driving over to Old Forge.... Nice water....

Last edited:

Cannonball

Yeah, I got out and paddled about two weeks ago. It was intended to be work....but when you're having that much fun does it count as work? The flows were up significantly by then, but now they've come up to the point that those same areas are unsafe. It really is nice to see the flows up so much. Not only is the volume and depth going to make a huge difference as compared to last year, but the velocities now are finally scouring some sediment that was deposited during all those low flows. That's good for paddling...

...and it's good for fish! Herring and smelt are in at many of the SE Mass rivers. Bass and blues aren't far behind.

ScottySkis

Scotty: That's in the ADKs, near its headwaters.....y/n? Watched one of the festivals ~3-4yrs back as I was driving over to Old Forge.... Nice water....

Yes on the same road going to Gore but only about 20 miles from I 87, it starts off before the Hudson and goes into it. Lots of fun, they open dam on most trips, and with snow heavy this winter, water sure to be great.:thumbup:

Yes on the same road going to Gore but only about 20 miles from I 87, it starts off before the Hudson and goes into it. Lots of fun, they open dam on most trips, and with snow heavy this winter, water sure to be great.:thumbup:

I think I've been on that trip before. Does it start at the Deer River before dumping into the Hudson?

ScottySkis

I think I've been on that trip before. Does it start at the Deer River before dumping into the Hudson?

I don't remember the name of the river, but I know you raft for about 20 miles with some levels 4 . On side note my uncle jumped in the river for fun, but he was cold when the guide pulled him back in.

I don't remember the name of the river, but I know you raft for about 20 miles with some levels 4 . On side note my uncle jumped in the river for fun, but he was cold when the guide pulled him back in.

Yup, that seems about right. I remember the class 4's and the Dam

Mpdsnowman

Water was very low where I live last fall. We had a decent ice pack during the winter on the bay but it will be interesting to see how it effects fishing in my area (lake ontario). Im ready for a good fishin and relaxin season.

bigbog

Yeah Mpd...agreed on some waters still looking a little low. Toured around last week up through a stretch of woods, some lakes/rivers...up mid-central Maine(Moosehead, Moose River, Upper Kennebec)...water levels still looked a little low, but it would've taken a massively deep winter to bring back the water levels to 100% of what was lost last year..imho.