• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mammoth 3/16-3/20

Wow, talk about an amazing trip!

This was my first time out west, and I think the east may never seem the same again:oops:

Conditions were generally Hard Pack until 11am followed by corn snow. The top never thawed and conditions there stayed packed powder. A surprise 4 inches fell on the 19th, and a storm dumped 10+ on the 20th.

Pics and in-depth report to come

Must Runs
1. Chair Nine (Dragons Back)
2. Chair 25 (Sunshine)
3. Gravy Chute
4. Climax
5. Wipeout Chute #1
6. All of Chair 23 (Excluding Road Runner)
7. Chair 12 (Trees off of Secret Spot)
8. Dry Creek
9. Chair 5
10. Chair 22 (Sunshine, Avalanche Chutes, Shaft)
11. Dave's Bowl
12. Hemlock Ridge

Day 1

The three of us that were on the trip exited our condo at 9am, and began the 1/2 mile trek to the Canyon Lodge. One of us was an experienced Mammoth skier who warned us of the hard pack that would be greeting us this early. Temps were already pushing 40 at the base, so even he thought things might soften up quickly.

After booting up, we rode Chair 8 and headed down to Chair 25. 25 took us to the top of Lincoln Peak, and the eastern face had been in the sun all morning. Despite this, everything was hard, even the groomers. In hope of finding softer snow, we headed all the way over to Chair 9.

Chair 9 was decent. Ricochet Bowl was still hard, but the tree's off of Slot were beginning to turn into corn. Just below Dragon's back there were some bulletproof moguls with the occasional rock.

We traversed over to Chair 5 and eventually McCoy station for a water break. The top looked like it never thawed and a few inches had fallen at the summit. We rode the Gondola to the top and enjoyed fresh snow on the bumps in Cornice Bowl and Wipeout Chutes. From Chair 23 we moved over to 12. Soft snow and endless trees greeted us. From there we dropped into the backside and enjoyed a few runs in the Outpost Glades.

After lunch at Outpost 14 we took chair 14 back up to near the top of 23 and scooted down Scotty's/Monument. We ended up at main lodge. After a few Park runs in Forest Trail, we took the Gondola back up to the summit. On Dave' bowl I jumped my first cornice, but didn't have the result I was looking for. I tumbled for a good portion of the trail, losing a ski in the process. After getting my ski after that spill, the bumps of Dave's were a delight, a little on the softer sidem with a very steep pitch.

From there we hit Dry Creek, one of my favorite Runs on the mountain. Located in a canyon, the trail dipped its way under chairs 5 and 10 with never ending bumps.

It was around 2:30 by then and our legs were burning. We took Chair 10 up and coasted back into the Canyon Lodge. In the end, it was your typical Spring Day on the Mountain

Dave's just above the Cornice, looking down at the Saddle

photo (1).jpg

Whoops, forgot the rest of the report.

Might still post it if I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

I love mammoth. Their season lasts until June on average, some years July.