• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mahoosuc Traverse NH/ME 12-17-06

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 12/17/06

Trails(s) Hiked: Goose Eye, AT, Old Speck Spur

Total Distance: 17mi

Difficulty: Treacherous, Very Hard.

Conditions: Varied wildly – cold windy clear early on, foggy but semi warm later

Special Required Equipment: Crampons, Stabilicers (traction)

Trip Report:

I do not recommend this hike at this time of year unless you have very good endurance, are very sure footed, and aren’t alone. This was a very long nearly 11 hour traverse covering some very rough terrain, unbroken trails, and.. the dreaded Mahoosuc notch. Mahoosuc Notch for those who don’t know is a mile long section in a deep cut notch with boulders from the size of cars to the size of a house which you must climb over and under. Interestingly enough the notch was not icy (but it was buried in 6-8 inches of virgin snow) The summits namely south of the notch were icy as hell and windy. This was a major traverse and was pretty wild at this time of year. I did it with Al (albee: VFTT) and his friend Rod. Both of them runners so they were kicking my butt :) Great hike I had a lot of fun and I would do it again even at this time of year.. but most people should be weary of such an idea as it really was pretty wild at places.

Oh yes and for those wondering Success Pond road was plowed.

Much bigger report and pictures from the traverse here: http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/ME/Mahoosuc061217

Nice rime on Goose Eye:
PC170065_t.jpg

Last edited:

montvm

Wow you guys are F'n nuts. :lol: Awesome trip. When i was 15 years old old speck was my very first summit. My uncle and i desended down the arm into Mahoosuc Notch, and he explained to me that we would probably find ice in the holes that you described. We did find ice and this was in August. I remember descending the arm and how steep it was going into Mahoosuc notch, and had forgotten about the boulders until you mentioned it. Man does that bring back memories, that was an awesome weekend.

Maybe thats what i'll do in January with my buddy Matt, but instead of doing it in one day like you crazys take my time and do in in three days, should be able to get bald pate in too!

Nice report...

P.S. Got my freakin shopping done!

Mike P.

I agree with montvm's opening comments. I guess this would be the winter (so far) to try that trip.

The peaks in that area are on my to-do list (other than Old Speck which I've done but the weather was miserable so I wouldn't mind going again to see the view from the tower.

Pretty hardcore indeed.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Ya all I need is Baldpate now and I will have completed the "easy access" Maine NE100 peaks. Once I polish off the NE100 sub 4000 bad boys in NH then I will be FORCED to go further north if I plan to continue pursuit of this list.

The more I think about this trip, the more I think "gee that was pretty nuts" :) Good stuff, really good stuff.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
You guys are, indeed, insane. But I don't blame you, because the Mahoosucs rock!

(pun intended)

The Mahoosucs really are a wonderful mountain range. A hike I did of Goose Eye is still one of the very best hikes I ever did. I love the subalpine ridge between Fulling and Goose Eye, and the views from the summits cannot be beat.

If you want a real treat someday, take four days and backpack the range.

Were you able to go up the tower? I didn't see a pic from there.

Congrats on an amazing trip - you're burning through that NE67 list!

montvm

Ya all I need is Baldpate now and I will have completed the "easy access" Maine NE100 peaks.

Bald Pate is sweet. I hiked it quite a few years ago in the fall time, and it was pretty awesome. Another one that i would like to vist again.......

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
I didnt climb the tower -this time- becasue I did Old Speck a month ago and climbed it then.. There was no view from the fog so I figured whats the point.

Here are pictures from when I did:
http://hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/ME/OldSpeck061104

it is a fun tower to climb.. Only one I have ever encountered with a steel ladder!

Love this range. Will definately consider End to Ending it but I will need some hiking partners to spot a car :)

God those rocks were awesome, and that blurry shot I got of that towering cliff.. Drool......

Last edited:

MtnMagic

Very excellent hiking Mark. I just love the Mahoosuc's. Great t.r. and great pix!

P.S. I don't climb to the top of that tower any more!!