• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I wish I was skiing today.

Puck it

It is just one of those days that I do not want to be at work.

Wait that is every day!!!

I blame my parents. They should have been independently wealthy.

HD333

I am with you. My bro inlaw came over to grab some gloves this AM and it took all of my willpower not to jump in the truck with him.

Work seems to always get in the way.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Appropriate that this thread is posted during Passover...when the four questions ask "what has changed?" or "Why is this night different from any other night?".

I never want to be at work....and somehow always want to and can ski every day. It kind of boggles my mind when people say they go away skiing and only ski like 5 of 7 days... I literally start to Jones...by 10-11 a.m. daily.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Whenever I go skiing with my brother, we spend the whole day talking about being a ski bum, and what we would do that would allow us to ski move to the mountains and ski everyday.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hmmm same here. There aren't all that many days left in the season, we are over halfway to the end. :sadwalk:

I hope I get out again but this weekend is a wash (easter plus some other obligations). Who knows when I might get out again. Hopefully at least a few more spring runs to Wachusett.

wa-loaf

I never want to be at work....and somehow always want to and can ski every day. It kind of boggles my mind when people say they go away skiing and only ski like 5 of 7 days... I literally start to Jones...by 10-11 a.m. daily.

Like people who want to go snowshoeing or something for a day. I was really hurting after 4 days of skiing in Utah and kinda felt relieved to have the break, but if I was still there I would have never stopped!

Skied one day with a friend of one my buddies. He's a surgeon in SLC and was saying how he'll work in the morning, head up in the afternoon to ski for a few hours, and then head back to work for awhile. Sounded like a good life ... and he's mormon and has 7 kids!

Hopefully at least a few more spring runs to Wachusett.

Pond skim is this Saturday 10-1 ....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skied one day with a friend of one my buddies. He's a surgeon in SLC and was saying how he'll work in the morning, head up in the afternoon to ski for a few hours, and then head back to work for awhile.

If I could have a conversation with my 18 year old self today, I would say, "Suck it up for 12 years and go through the med school process and become a MD. Even if you don't become a doctor in a ski town, you can ski 100 days a year no problem from your slick slope side condo." Most of the MDs I work with only work about 30 weeks a year. Life would suck for those 12 years after high school, but the pay off would be so worth it in the long run. Work 30 weeks a year until your 50, then retire.

I'm grateful for the few ski bum years I had in my early 20s, but I traded those few for a much longer working life and far fewer ski bum years on the retirement side of life down the road.

jrmagic

If I could have a conversation with my 18 year old self today, I would say, "Suck it up for 12 years and go through the med school process and become a MD. Even if you don't become a doctor in a ski town, you can ski 100 days a year no problem from your slick slope side condo." Most of the MDs I work with only work about 30 weeks a year. Life would suck for those 12 years after high school, but the pay off would be so worth it in the long run. Work 30 weeks a year until your 50, then retire.

I'm grateful for the few ski bum years I had in my early 20s, but I traded those few for a much longer working life and far fewer ski bum years on the retirement side of life down the road.

I hear you. There's lots of stuff I would tell my 18 year old self today lol. We all had our blank canvas and made our choices and I'm definitely envious of those who seemed to have made all the right ones.

Abominable

Bah, that seems like doing things the hard way.

Suck it up for two years, learn how to program, come up with a great idea and sell it. These kids make it look easy. It's hard to believe youtube has only been around eight years....

http://www.incomediary.com/top-young-entrepreneurs

wa-loaf

I know a few people who have gone to med school in their late 30's early 40s.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I hope to move back to NH sometime in the future. Before that happens, I have to finish the renovations on my house, sell it, and find a job. Yet, despite that, I am not only looking at houses in NH, but I am researching season passes, and trying to figure out what would be my best options to ski.

I definitely have a problem.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know a few people who have gone to med school in their late 30's early 40s.

I commend folks who do that. I wouldn't have the energy to take on something like that at this stage in my life; nor the undergrad GPA to get in! :lol:

ScottySkis

I commend folks who do that. I wouldn't have the energy to take on something like that at this stage in my life; nor the undergrad GPA to get in! :lol:

That what my cousin is doing now, he is 36 and commuting to NYC for political science PhD, and has no time for anything else.