• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley: March 29, 2013

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Deer Valley, Utah

Dates: March 29, 2013

Conditions: Variable Spring Conditions

Weather: Sunny, temps in the low 50's.

Report No: 25

My third outing to Deer Valley this season...one more to go. I skied at Deer Valley on March 10th and had a nice day skiing the North side of the resort (Jordanelle, Mountaineer, Mayflower, and Baldy). Today was an audible...depending on the weather I would cruise around, but I figured that Mountaineer and Jordanelle would be a good place to start because of the low elevation and it gets some good sun. Good choice.

I got a later start than I would have wanted, but headed up Carpenter and then took Little Stick down over to the Mountaineer area. The new HSQ over here is a nice treat...it is too bad to see that they don't make snow on some of the bump runs over there because they are decent. But I knocked off several runs on the blues and Crescent, a short bump run. The snow was softening up nicely while there were showers of snow and rain over on Empire and even on the top of Baldy.

I took a spin all the way down to the Gondola, which is a nice long run and a fun change of pace. It's too bad that Deer Crest does not open their "private" ski trails (with their own snowmaking and their own groomers) because there is much more than the map indicates on this side.

Seeing that the sun was working the slopes, I headed to Baldy and found then down Tycoon. Anything facing NW was pretty firm...err...icy but as soon as I turned the corner on Tycoon the snow softened considerably. I did a spin down Stein's Way, which was just right, and then was tempted by Thunderer, which was nice bumps that were a bit firm but still a delight. Perseverance was just right. This side of Baldy has some nice pitch and skis nicely. The last time I was over here I had a great time in Ruins of Pompeii and some of the adjacent glades, but today they were pretty solid.

I had not tried Red Cloud, which sits dead center of Flagstaff, so I headed over there. First run down Peeler was a bit too firm for me, but Star Gazer, which saw a groomer, was better. The sun warmed things up a bit more and the bumps on Three Ply and Square Deal were just right. I found some nice trees to play in under Quincy Express.

By now it was almost noon and I had to leave about 2:15 or so, and I wanted to get over to Empire for a few spins. The bar was low because recon was saying that it was icy over there and not soft yet, but when I got to the top of Orion it was a corn-fest. Empire is probably one of my favorite sides....although Baldy is up there too.

I saw a fair number of folks standing on the top of Daly Chutes and Daly Bowl, so my Monsters took me over there and I found myself on the top of the cornice on Daly Bowl and a pretty sweet line down skier's right of it, so I had to jump in. The snow was still pretty dry up top, thanks to the shade, a bit firm in the middle, but edgeable, and soft at the bottom. Orion to the Empire Express was getting sticky.

Back over to Daly for more and I hit Chute 5 (or 6) and it was perfect. I hooted for joy and then made one more quick run back to Daly Chutes...this time Chute 7...my favorite...and it didn't disappoint.

I hurried back to Silver Lake and then downloaded back to Snow Park since I was running behind. I figured that Little Baldy would be pretty damn sticky and it sure was.

For a Friday it was busy, but that was because it was Good Friday and there were a lot of folks in town for Easter. Deer Valley is, by far, the only place where I've skied where almost everyone I talk to is from out of town...as in across the country or ocean. They do a killer job getting folks to come out from all over the world. And, by far, they have the best service and probably the happiest skiers I've ever met. A joy to ski once again. And only one more day there this season for me. I think I might get a locals pass pack with them next season. Alta-Snowbird-Deer Valley offers a lot of good variety.

Pics soon.