Arcadia National Park - Maine

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Arcadia National Park - Maine

Thinking about planning a vacation up there to do some hiking. Any must do things or hike recommendations?

2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    It's stunning. Hiking is breathtaking and bring your bikes, the Rockefellers built a great network of carriage roads.

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Thinking about planning a vacation up there to do some hiking. Any must do things or hike recommendations?
    My suggestions:

• Get to Winter Harbor and the Schoodic Peninsula to get away from the tourist-heavy scene on MDI.
    • Go at off-peak times if possible; Sand Beach is great, but the park loop road can be crowded. Visiting MDI after Labor Day is a whole different ballgame than doing it in mid-July.
    • Get up early to enjoy the sun rising over the Atlantic. If you're lucky enough to stay on the water, this is easier and the views are just incredible.
    • Enjoy some lobster.
    Disclaimer: Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself, unless I'm saying something incredibly dumb, in which case I didn't say anything and you're hallucinating.

Items for Sale
    Kbroderick is on target...off-peak is prime...but anytime in hot weather is fine....some day other than a Saturday, catching the breeze coming off the water or .....and even in(kayak)...thinking you do o3j...y/n?
    Hiking boots..not to be forgotten.

$.01
    Last edited by bigbog; Apr 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Kbroderick is on target...off-peak is prime...but anytime in hot weather is fine....some day other than a Saturday, just to find some smooth rocks in a secluded portion of a cove(many) to catch the breeze coming off the water.....and even in(kayak)...thinking you do o3j...y/n?

$.01
    No Kayak, yet... Looked into them last year but figured I don't have enough time to do all my hobbies already.
    2009/2010 - 28

2008/09 - 33

Items for Sale
    Yeah...even the beginning plastic canoes aren't cheap these days....but something on one's feet that'll give you great traction on rock is a definite .. Schoodic Pt ...and the whole Peninsula is ripe for hanging out on the rocks during a hot spell in summer.....and yes,(see following by D.Metsky)...two true hikes...
    The area version of the Chart Room is good for prices and food...kinda quiet and if temps are ok, there are tables outside.

$.01
    Last edited by bigbog; Apr 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM.
    SteveD

It helps to get the name right - it's Acadia.

If you like scrambling and steep somewhat scary pitches the Beehive and Precipice trails are the classics. They are fairly short but very steep and involve some metal steps pounded into the rock faces. Most folks who are active have no problems scrambling up the ledges but it's not for folks who are afraid of heights. You can combine them with a few other trails (no map here at work) to make a good dayhike, but they're more like half-day hikes by themselves. Try to get to the parking areas early on the weekends, they fill up. You can also do the 4 peaks hike which is a solid day hike that gets you some great views and lots of variety.

There's some great hiking on the Western Lobe of the park, much more quiet than the Bar Harbor side. And while you're there, stop in at Beal's Lobster Pound in Southwest Harbor; ain't nothing better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    It helps to get the name right - it's Acadia.
    Yes, was going to say!

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    If you like scrambling and steep somewhat scary pitches the Beehive and Precipice trails are the classics. They are fairly short but very steep and involve some metal steps pounded into the rock faces.
    If you head up early in the season the Precipice is often closed for breeding falcons.

Let me know when you are going. I can show you a few routes to avoid having to pay to drive the park road to get to Sand beach and Thunder Hole.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Off Island, but Cleonice in Ellsworth is a fantastic restaurant if you're looking for good eats. Better than anything on the island IMO.

Thanks guys. Maybe Bvibert or another kind mod can update the title with the correct spelling.
    2009/2010 - 28

2008/09 - 33

Thread Information