• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To Jay or not to Jay....

Huck_It_Baby

Currently snowing pretty good here but we've had big integrations of sleet as well and lots of frozen everywhere. We may end up with a good 5-8" yet, but I can't imagine the conditions are going to be particularly wonderful tomorrow to be honest. Groomers for sure and, if that's your bag, you'd prob be better off someplace else.

sw

Thanks Steve!

Anyone who claims Jay doesn't have honest snow reporting should be directed to this thread =)

WWF-VT

Thanks Steve!

Anyone who claims Jay doesn't have honest snow reporting should be directed to this thread =)

That's a lot more accurate than the glowing report on the Jay Peak website updated today at 1:16 PM : Today, our Mountain Forecaster is also calling for 5 – 8 inches… Are we going to get multiple feet? Probably not, but are certainly looking at numbers over a FOOT, which is just fine for the middle of April. It is 6:15a and the storm just landed; it’s going to be a great day and weekend. Enjoy the April powder.

BenedictGomez

See the WWF-VT post.

IMO, Jay Peak still retains the rep of being one of the more.........shall I say......... "snowtimistic" of the ski resorts. To their detriment IMO. It's not 1987 anymore, you cant fool people with this ****. Between forums like this, reports from "natives" that live 3.7 miles from the resort, numerous webcams, ski condition apps, the IMMEDIATE connectivity of the internet, you really cant BS people on conditions anymore.

Huck_It_Baby

See the WWF-VT post.

IMO, Jay Peak still retains the rep of being one of the more.........shall I say......... "snowtimistic" of the ski resorts. To their detriment IMO. It's not 1987 anymore, you cant fool people with this ****. Between forums like this, reports from "natives" that live 3.7 miles from the resort, numerous webcams, ski condition apps, the IMMEDIATE connectivity of the internet, you really cant BS people on conditions anymore.

Maybe. Those of us who are obsessed enough to be in ski forums, weather forums and the like are a small percentage of the ski world. The masses can still be fooled.

fbrissette

The only way you'll find out if it's good or not is to be there.

Don't chase the reports, be the report.

Great advice steamboat.

Turned out to be an awesome day. All glades were in great conditions. A bit hard early on but perfect in the afternoon. Even hit face chute and pumphouse with my 8 year old son. That's how good it was. The orchard was in as good condition as it has been all winter. Simply amazing for mid April.

Had my doubts after Steve's post but he definitely was way to pessimistic -quite unusual for a marketing guy.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
See the WWF-VT post.

As usual, I highly dispute this. Jay occasionally flubs. But they are usually very honest and sometimes to a fault (i.e. you occasionally see some MRG style humor about bad conditions). They got 4-5" FWIW. I was a pass holder there for three seasons and I ski there a half dozen times a year or so for the last three seasons. I am a VERY harsh critic of bad snow reporting. If your argument held water, I'd be the first to back it up. You are clearly not on the ground at Jay comparing actual conditions to the report as frequently as many other posters that back them up.

BenedictGomez

As usual, I highly dispute this. Jay occasionally flubs. But they are usually very honest and sometimes to a fault (i.e. you occasionally see some MRG style humor about bad conditions). They got 4-5" FWIW. I was a pass holder there for three seasons and I ski there a half dozen times a year or so for the last three seasons. I am a VERY harsh critic of bad snow reporting. If your argument held water, I'd be the first to back it up. You are clearly not on the ground at Jay comparing actual conditions to the report as frequently as many other posters that back them up.

Great; I "highly dispute" your highly disputing. As I've said before, they've definitely improved since I lived up there, no question about it and I'll give credit where credit is due, but they're hardly white gloved. You should also pay attention to timing issues as well as simply what is reported, which IMO is a key aspect of ski report deception that is missed by many. Are they the worst? Hardly, but I didnt say they were. There's no way they're among the best either, and if you think they are, well, then I'd have to say that you're not comparing various northeast ski reports "actual conditions to the report" as well "as many other posters".

BigJay

Great advice steamboat.

Turned out to be an awesome day. All glades were in great conditions. A bit hard early on but perfect in the afternoon. Even hit face chute and pumphouse with my 8 year old son. That's how good it was. The orchard was in as good condition as it has been all winter. Simply amazing for mid April.

Had my doubts after Steve's post but he definitely was way to pessimistic -quite unusual for a marketing guy.

Conditions were great! Hit the face area 4 times saturday! Staircase and everglade were fun. Great snow early in the morning: surfy and creamy!

sunday morning: surprise! A solid6-8in... Wow! Lapped the jet from 9 to 11. Sun came out. Started to besticky. Back home now in the city. Going for a bike ride in thesun.

What a weekend!

fbrissette

Conditions were great! Hit the face area 4 times saturday! Staircase and everglade were fun. Great snow early in the morning: surfy and creamy!

sunday morning: surprise! A solid6-8in... Wow! Lapped the jet from 9 to 11. Sun came out. Started to besticky. Back home now in the city. Going for a bike ride in thesun.

What a weekend!

Same scenario here. Only had 90 minutes to ski this morning (wife had to be in Montreal for work) but wow ! what a surprise. Third chair on the flyer, then the Tram. First tracks on Ull'r, beaver, Valhalla. Pretty amazing for mid April.

Downside - skied a bit longer than we wanted, had to speed to get to Montreal in time, got a 130$ speeding ticket...

fbrissette

Great; I "highly dispute" your highly disputing. As I've said before, they've definitely improved since I lived up there, no question about it and I'll give credit where credit is due, but they're hardly white gloved. You should also pay attention to timing issues as well as simply what is reported, which IMO is a key aspect of ski report deception that is missed by many. Are they the worst? Hardly, but I didnt say they were. There's no way they're among the best either, and if you think they are, well, then I'd have to say that you're not comparing various northeast ski reports "actual conditions to the report" as well "as many other posters".

I generally agree with you. However, of all the eastern mountains I've skied, Jay is the place where conditions vary the most between the base and the top.

You could argue that the ski report is generally accurate for the top. Often, they will report 2 to 3 inches, when there is barely a dusting at condo level. Yet, you hit the flyer, and those few inches materialize. Having said that, my observation is anything above 6 inches is usually well reported while the smaller amounts are a bit optimistic. There was 10 cm (4 inches) at condo level at 8 AM, and 15-20 (6-8 inches) higher up. Wet at the bottom but quite fluffy on top. The 4-5 reported was quite accurate.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I hope the answer was "To Jay" because it was great conditions all weekend long. Snowing most of the time and it was light snow, not wet stuff.

C-Rex

I ran into an obligation Friday night and couldn't go up, plus everyone I asked to go with me had something going on. 4 hours is quite the drive when you're alone. Seems like I really missed out, though. I'm looking to head up this weekend and hopefully get some great spring conditions.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You said it, I missed that one. I should let the snow reporters do the talking.

Great advice steamboat.