• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"It can happen to anyone" Tuckerman Ravine

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Good stuff there. The bonus was fantastic. That probably wasn't the easiest thing to write and post but when the pros make mistakes and say be mindful, that is a really good reminder that no one is immune to losing focus and getting hurt.

Cannonball

Great article. Good heads up for novices and the experienced

Good stuff there. The bonus was fantastic.

It's funny that you give special props to that one, because it's the only one I took issue with at all. I always carry my gear up on a pack and I've always considered that it's the safest way and makes the most sense. BUT...a few years back I was booting up left gully when a snowboarder triggered an avalanche above us near the rollover. Thank god I was only about 1/3 of the way up and had time and room to move laterally and get out of the way. But 2 other skiers were right in the middle of the hourglass and went for the full ride from there. One of them was carrying his skis and ditched them as he slid. He had no issues. The other skier had them slung diagonally on his pack. He got PUMMELED in the face by his skis the whole way down and was unable to control his tumbling slide because of the flailing skis on his back. He end up buried to his waist, severely bloodied, and semi-conscious. Ever since, I've considered the ability to ditch your gear a significant safety concern.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I always pack carry my skis and I consider that type of accident the lower risk of the many possible issues when shouldering your skis...

...that said, I wasn't giving props to pack carry but rather the author, someone responsible for disseminating avalanche and safety info, writing an article about safety and saying even I did something dumb that caused me harm. It was a call out and fitting conclusion to the theme that it could happen to any one when you aren't being careful (and hell, even if you are, but the point is to be aware and mitigate).

dmc

Great article. Good heads up for novices and the experienced

It's funny that you give special props to that one, because it's the only one I took issue with at all. I always carry my gear up on a pack and I've always considered that it's the safest way and makes the most sense. BUT...a few years back I was booting up left gully when a snowboarder triggered an avalanche above us near the rollover. Thank god I was only about 1/3 of the way up and had time and room to move laterally and get out of the way. But 2 other skiers were right in the middle of the hourglass and went for the full ride from there. One of them was carrying his skis and ditched them as he slid. He had no issues. The other skier had them slung diagonally on his pack. He got PUMMELED in the face by his skis the whole way down and was unable to control his tumbling slide because of the flailing skis on his back. He end up buried to his waist, severely bloodied, and semi-conscious. Ever since, I've considered the ability to ditch your gear a significant safety concern.

I still want to put my stuff on a pack..

dmc

Me too. Just saying it's a concern.

I try to alleviate the risk of being around crowded climbing lines..
My main route up is Right Gully or Lobester Claw.. Generally not crowded and a way easier climb than the Chute..
I am guilty of doing a quick run up to the bottom of the Chute with just my snowboard in hand... But that's pretty easy...

I've had to jump out of climbing lines before... Good new was I had my axe(no crampons in the line) so I just jumped out of the way with a solid purchase from the axe...

bdfreetuna

Great read. I wanted to head up this year but alas find myself without proper gear and the funds to attain it in short notice.

Seems like all good tips to me.

snowmonster

The conga line of climbers is what freaks me out at this time of year at Tux. One slip and the whole line can get taken out. This is why I'd rather be at the Gulf of Slides. It looks like a good year on the west side too. Be there!