• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Explosions at Boston Marathon

4aprice

Question. I had heard a report Monday that they found 2 or 3 unexploded devices in the Marathon area. Is this true? And if it is true wouldn't that indicate that this plot would was bigger then just these 2 individuals since the pictures indicated that each was seemingly transporting 1 device each. Understand that the media is not always so accurate.

Hang in there Boston, our thoughts are with you.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Puck it

Question. I had heard a report Monday that they found 2 or 3 unexploded devices in the Marathon area. Is this true? And if it is true wouldn't that indicate that this plot would was bigger then just these 2 individuals since the pictures indicated that each was seemingly transporting 1 device each. Understand that the media is not always so accurate.

Hang in there Boston, our thoughts are with you.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Debuncted. There was bags that were detonanted as a precaution, but no others were found.

mlctvt

There may be alot of that in the next days/weeks. Bridgewater State Univ was evaculated because a backpack was seen under a car. It turned out a freshman was hiding beer in the backpack for the weekend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
...And they made more of these hats for those that are interested. All proceeds go to the fund for the victims.

https://www.47brand.com/shop/mlb/bo...d-sox-b-strong-47-brand-cap/product/5546.aspx

large-1.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I'm thrilled that they got him and the police did a good job, but I have to ask this question: if they did such a great dragnet of the area, then why did it take an average Joe out for a walk to notice the suspect hiding in a blood-stained tarp covered boat? Did they just not check that area? I know that hindsight is 20-20, but is there something I'm missing?

Love this. And while it might have seemed overkill to close everything, in hindsight these guys were very dangerous and folks were really on edge. So it was best to close everything down, ferrett these guys out, and give everyone closure.

dmw

So I'm thrilled that they got him and the police did a good job, but I have to ask this question: if they did such a great dragnet of the area, then why did it take an average Joe out for a walk to notice the suspect hiding in a blood-stained tarp covered boat? Did they just not check that area? I know that hindsight is 20-20, but is there something I'm missing?

This is a good question. The 2 possibilities I see are -

1- I heard they had searched the boat earlier and it was clear, this when the blood was out there and a shed door ajar (or something), it was clear someting was up. This implies he was moving about the neighborhood continuously, as the search implied. If that's the case, it's pretty astounding he was able to get around - even if he moved through back yards, etc, he would have had to cross roads to get over there, and specifically one road (School St) that had major presence all up and down it pretty much from the time of the initial shootout on.

2- I heard another report today (second hand) that the boat HADN'T been previously searched earlier in the day, which means he could have been there all along. Apparently the perimeter they had set up ended at the top of the street he was finally captured on. This would imply he'd been in that location for a while and was just outside of the focus area. Either way, strange and amazing he could make it over there at any time through the police presence.

The location where the boat was backs up to a dead end street and kind of an industrial area, so I'm not surprised that's where he ended up, as opposed to other backyards.

o3jeff

I heard the report that it didn't get searched and that it was about a half a block out of the area they locked down and searched.

dmw

Which is odd if it didn't get searched - although it may have been outside the perimeter, I know for a fact houses on Franklin street had been searched earlier, friends of mine live at 88 (boat was at 67).

Cannonball

It seems like police knew exactly where he was but for some reason needed to loosen things up to create some sort of movement in the situation that had become stagnant.

Warp Daddy

From what was said the Franklin st location was 1and half blocks OUTSIDE the designated PERIMETER .

By standards this was a MUCH larger perimeter than what has been done in ANY previous perimeter for other previous MAJOR national tragedies . It. Was an event that took time to establish and actually implement tactically. So itmayhave been easyto slip hru befor the web TIGHTENED. Given that rhe guy did not get far he was Just outside the limits ..

Things are not easy to understand and hindsight is always 20 / 20. Just put yoursef in a command position and imagine ALL the variables that are at play, all the confusion , all the anxieties and then youmust define , establish and implement a strategy on the fly as things are in a constant stae of flux .

It aint easy !!! Al in all my feeling are it was a job well done

Apost op recap by those in charge will no doubt critique what may have been done better like shooting out the tires of any suspect vehicle that trys to charge thru a police blockade and perhaps other areas

octopus

there are a lot of open doors, sheds, basements etc around here. watertown is pretty quiet, not a lot of crime. my old pickup has a leak somewhere, so i have to dry it out by opening the doors, its a crew cab. i once left all 4 doors open with all my tools and stuff inside overnight by accident, nothing was missing or even touched in the morning.

i still don't understand how they lost him after the gunfight, maybe the older brother sacrificed himself so he could escape?.anyways, the perimeter, as far as i could see included franklin st. i was turned around and questioned at irving st and you could not go down arsenal at all from the intersection. yes, i went out during the lockdown, but either way, thats a huge amount of houses, businesses etc. to search.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wonder why these guys didn't skip town when they had the chance. Excited about the capture though.

I bet Marathon 2014 will be no bags allowed at all.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm guessing the only reason they didn't skip town was the desire to do more harm.

I'm not sure you could ban backpacks at the marathon. How could it be enforced over the entire 26 mile course? I suppose you could restrict them at the finish line, but there are other popular viewing areas too. I also think that if you make such a security change, it means the terrorists won. That's their goal; to create fear and make Americans change their way of life. And if you were to make that security change, what other events would the city also impose restrictions? The 4th of July celebration is only two months away and that draws a half million people to the esplanade. That's a FAR bigger event.