• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Explosions at Boston Marathon

dmc

just heard they let the Saudi national go...

I think that middle eastern parents should teach their kids to not run from bomb blasts like a couple of my friends that are black were taught not to run near a bank..

drjeff

#38 and #52 are NOT for the sqeemish

The one of the female EMS checking for a pulse on the girl. That hits home. I hope they get the bastard or bastards and make it swift.

Based on the picture of the newly released ID of the 2nd victim, a 29 yr old female, pretty sure that that the EMS person in picture #52 wasn't feeling a pulse :( Awful, awful stuff

wa-loaf

Based on the picture of the newly released ID of the 2nd victim, a 29 yr old female, pretty sure that that the EMS person in picture #52 wasn't feeling a pulse :( Awful, awful stuff

That picture is gone now. And by looking at the pic they just put up of the girl I think you are right.

krystle-campbell23.jpg

Geoff

The Boston Globe is reporting that they've found the circuit board for one of the pressure cooker bombs. In reading up on them and the history of who has ever built them, my speculation on who did it is starting to shift from lunatic US citizen to someone influenced by al-Qaeda.

Instructions to make bombs out of pressure cookers similar to those believed the source of two explosions in Boston on Monday were published two years ago in Inspire, an online magazine tied to al-Qaeda and the late U.S.-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, an analysis of the magazine shows. The article, "How to Make a Bomb in the Kitchen of Your Mom," by "the AQ Chef" instructed would-be bombers to glue shrapnel to the inside of a pressure cooker and then "fill in the cooker with the inflammable material."
Would-be bombers, the article said, should use gloves to prevent their fingerprints from being found on the bomb fragments and to "put you [sic] faith in Allah and pray for the success of your operation."
The summer 2010 issue of Inspire featured several articles on what it called "the open-source Jihad," which instructed readers on how to make their own

JimG.

Staff member
Just now able to say something here. I have lost faith in humanity. I don't mean the kind souls who stopped what they were doing to help these poor people. Who could be so cowardly as to design a bomb to maim people at a marathon?

I have some theories, all full of politics. I don't believe these are Islamic fundamentalists. Nobody is beating their chest taking credit for this. These demons are homegrown. This was done for effect, to change the attention of the American public. I hope they catch these bastards and torture the truth out of them. And if there are others involved, I would torture them too.

Better stop now.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ok, everyone be honest. You might not be sure, but you're gut tells you Muslims are responsible for this. Right?
No. This is not logical thinking. Think of all the white non-muslims that have committed acts of domestic terror. Oklahoma City, Unabomber, Anthrax, school shootings, etc. I hope you are not involved with law enforcement with that attitude. By defaulting to a certain religion, you've already ruled out the most likely suspects based on number of attacks actually carried out. Given the anniversary's associated with yesterday's date, I suspect those investigating are giving strong suspicion to domestic terrorism not fueled by religion (which is irrelevant any ways... Christians have committed a huge amount of domestic terrorism and many by twisting their own religion to justify their ends).

Just for the record, I am NOT saying that this is what I think is the case. I am just disputing the knee jerk reaction to foreign terrorist who happens to be of a Muslim faith as an automatic prime suspect. Might turn out that is the case, might not. But that isn't a good place to start an investigation nor should we assume. Either way, for that matter.

ctenidae

Who could be so cowardly as to design a bomb to maim people at a marathon?

You know, there was something that wasn't adding up for me, and that was the apparent low placement of the bombs- higher up would have caused more deaths, I think. But, doing it at ground level targets the legs, with obvious connections to marathons.

That's a level of cleverness that I would not ascribe to your standard Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. Makes me think all the more it's a lunatic of the home grown variety. Coupled with the no claims of responsibility yet, and local makes more sense than imported terror.

Who got bullied by the track team?

Puck it

You know, there was something that wasn't adding up for me, and that was the apparent low placement of the bombs- higher up would have caused more deaths, I think. But, doing it at ground level targets the legs, with obvious connections to marathons.

That's a level of cleverness that I would not ascribe to your standard Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. Makes me think all the more it's a lunatic of the home grown variety. Coupled with the no claims of responsibility yet, and local makes more sense than imported terror.

Who got bullied by the track team?
I agree. It was placed and desgned to maim not kill.

dmc

An envelope that tested positive for the deadly poison ricin was intercepted Tuesday afternoon at the U.S. Capitol's off-site mail facility in Washington, congressional and law enforcement sources tell CNN.After the envelope tested positive in a first routine test, it was retested two more times, each time coming up positive, the law enforcement source said.
The envelope was addressed to a U.S. senator, though the sources would not say which one.

From CNN

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Interesting observation cten. What surprised me from the start is the timing. Why not set it off when the big names were coming through? Why wait until after 4 hours? Maximum impact and exposure would have been when the cameras were on the finish line. No cameras are on the finish line at 4 hours, mostly older and charity runners coming in after that time. Quite frankly, given the intent, this could have caused even more harm and death if this wacko executed better.

One answer to both our questions is that it wasn't well thought out (though your suggestion was that it was diabolically thought out with specific intent).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting observation cten. What surprised me from the start is the timing. Why not set it off when the big names were coming through? Why wait until after 4 hours? Maximum impact and exposure would have been when the cameras were on the finish line. No cameras are on the finish line at 4 hours, mostly older and charity runners coming in after that time. Quite frankly, given the intent, this could have caused even more harm and death if this wacko executed better.

One answer to both our questions is that it wasn't well thought out (though your suggestion was that it was diabolically thought out with specific intent).

The two theories I've heard regarding the timing are

1. It was too difficult for the carrier to reach the the finish line area due to crowding during the time the winners crossed.

2. The time in which the bomb was set off is the average finish time for most racers. So, in theory by detonating at that time, there was the greatest potential to inflict harm on not only spectators, but those competing as well.

But who the hell knows, that's all just speculation from crime "experts." Only the monster that's responsible knows. Hopefully we have that answer soon. I find it inconceivable that the crime could go unsolved given the massive amount of personal cameras being used in the area, TV crews and surveillance cameras from local businesses.

Bene288

I agree. It was placed and desgned to maim not kill.

Exactly. This thing could have been so much bigger. You'd think an organized terrorist group would have used plastic explosive, which would have leveled buildings. These bombs were most likely made up of a few cans of gun powder. The very opaque white and 'puffy' smoke is commonly attributed to genuine powder. This seems like the move of a single sociopath who wanted to disable as many people as they could. I am furious, I hope they catch whoever did this and hang him from the the Tobin.

Puck it

The two theories I've heard regarding the timing are

1. It was too difficult for the carrier to reach the the finish line area due to crowding during the time the winners crossed.

2. The time in which the bomb was set off is the average finish time for most racers. So, in theory by detonating at that time, there was the greatest potential to inflict harm on not only spectators, but those competing as well.

But who the hell knows, that's all just speculation from crime "experts." Only the monster that's responsible knows. Hopefully we have that answer soon. I find it inconceivable that the crime could go unsolved given the massive amount of personal cameras being used in the area, TV crews and surveillance cameras from local businesses.

Number 2 is correct. This is exactly the timing he wanted. It looks looks like gunpowder with some incendiary also. Look at people's hair. It is burn in the pics along with the fireball.

legalskier

Also for the time Fenway was letting out after the very early Sox game, when many fans walk over to see the finish of the marathon (according to an NPR commentator this afternoon).

Bene288

Just read that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket funerals of the victims. What is wrong with these people? Bostonians will not stand for that.

ctenidae

I thought the timing was kind of random, except that both went off so close together. The max people finishing scenario makes sense, adn is also pretty darn diabolical.

Westboro Baptist. WWJD? Probably not that...

dmc

Just read that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket funerals of the victims. What is wrong with these people? Bostonians will not stand for that.

They have the right to protest loudly..
But we have a right to protest LOUDER!!!