Sunday River Closing Day - 4/21/2013

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunday River Closing Day - 4/21/2013

Date(s) Skied: 4/21/2013

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River, Newry, ME

Conditions: Spring like; Temps in the 40s in the afternoon but chilly in the AM

Trip Report: It was Ski Mainia, the last day of the season and, true to tradition, Sunday River offered free skiing. I had been to other closing days before, but this was absolutely jam-packed anc crowded. I have never, ever waited in line at the River for more than 5 minutes but the 15 minute lift lines were ridiculous. The Barker chair was the only one running and the lines there stretched out onto the Locke chair! We avereaged about 2 to 3 runs an hour!

Lots of snow to be skied. While the upper portions of T2 and Right Stuff were pretty slick and solid in the morning, the sun's warmth (when it got warm after lunch) yielded soft corn in mid-mountain. We skied out to the lower portion of Risky Business on Spruce and that was soft corn. People were hiking to the top of Spruce to make some good runs from up top. Being bandits, we ducked the rope in several places to ski higher up Spruce and several other closed runs on the western side of the mountain. North Peak looks toast but Spruce and Barker still have really good snow. The pipe and all the jumps were in mid-winter form. It was impressive to see so much snow. SR could have gone on for another week. Alas, it was the last day for lift-served there.

I'm thinking of hiking for turns there this week. Who's in?

Longest lines at SR evah!
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366660438.443065.jpg

Risky Business
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366660465.884205.jpg

Looking up an untouched American Express
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366660497.813092.jpg

Barker at the end of the day -- see the snow on the jumps!
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366660525.247094.jpg

Last runs on Lower Sunday Punch
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366660552.115267.jpg
    Last edited by snowmonster; Apr 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Looks awesome! I wonder why they shut down SR earlier but push on teh Loaf so hard. Is the Loaf in much better geography for a longer season? They posted something about June today on their FB page.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

2011/12 Days:
    12/20, 12/29, 1/11, 1/22, 1/25, 2/5,2/19, 3/30, 3/31, 4/1
    2012/13 Days: 12/27, 12/28, 1/5, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 3/21, 3/23, 3/24

Snowmonster you outlaw. I can't believe that you would duck ropes. Don't you know they are there for a reason?
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

Holy moly on the lift lines! Did see it worse during Sunday of Christmas week when even North Peak was at a 10 minute line but White Cap, Jordan along with Aurora were on hold for much of the day. Gotta hate it when not enough lifts are open for the people that come. Was that way for Waterville's St. Patty's Day special which would have been manageable if all the lifts were open that day (Northside and World Cup were closed that day).

Interesting seeing what Ski Mania was like.
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Snowmonster you outlaw. I can't believe that you would duck ropes. Don't you know they are there for a reason?
    Weren't you afraid they were going to pull your pass?
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    Weren't you afraid they were going to pull your pass?
    He picked up a free lift ticket so they could take that instead of his season pass!
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4

2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    He picked up a free lift ticket so they could take that instead of his season pass!
    Probably 2-3 free lift tickets , just in case.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks awesome! I wonder why they shut down SR earlier but push on teh Loaf so hard. Is the Loaf in much better geography for a longer season? They posted something about June today on their FB page.
    I think Boyne has decided that they want to keep one of their mountains open late in order to please season passholders. Sugarloaf probably gets the nod because you can reach almost the entire mountain with just two lifts running, while the quality of skiing at Sunday River declines significantly as the lifts start shutting down. Obviously Sunday River can't be expected to run all their lifts if there aren't a whole lot of people.
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4

2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I think Boyne has decided that they want to keep one of their mountains open late in order to please season passholders. Sugarloaf probably gets the nod because you can reach almost the entire mountain with just two lifts running, while the quality of skiing at Sunday River declines significantly as the lifts start shutting down. Obviously Sunday River can't be expected to run all their lifts if there aren't a whole lot of people.
    Agree on all points. I will add that I think geography and elevation play a big role as well. Sugarloaf is significantly further north, significantly higher elevation, and has what is probably the best natural snow preservation in New England. That and your point about access to most of the mountain from only a couple of lifts make it the natural choice. Sunday River early season and Sugarloaf late season- no need to compete with yourself for a limited market.

Thread Information