Ski Magazines list of Spring Skiing Where to ski! - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I bet that K will be in that list next season if they live up to what has been advertised. It was a rough season last year for many.
    K still came in 3rd place in the east last year with an April 22 closing. Probably could have gone another week at least but the SS head wall melted out. This never kept them from closing before & it was only melted at the tippy top, not the whole head wall. There was still plenty of snow on the rest of the trail. I was there so I know.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Apr 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Yes I remember seeing your report with pictures. Appreciate your reporting & blogs...
    Thanks!!!

That was the Killington, June 11, 1992 TR. I'll write something up for that day one day. I have a few pictures, but not many from that day.

I remember my wife was driven and drove over a piece of metal and we got a flat on the last curve prior to Route 4(?) next to the access road. The day was shorter and wife went to Rutland to buy a new tire (she wasn't going to ski, she was 5 months pregnant). Not going to drive Kmart to Ottawa (310 miles on a spare). She has skied and taken it easy on June 1 - yes, my daughter is a skier.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    K still came in 3rd place in the east last year with an April 22 closing. Probably could have gone another week at least but the SS head wall melted out. This never kept them from closing before & it was only melted at the tippy top, not the whole head wall. There was still plenty of snow on the rest of the trail. I was there so I know.
    K was 3rd last year, but weren't in the previous 3 years.

I gave kudos in one of my Closing Thread Posts to Killington last year, everyone serious late season areas lost 3 weeks due to the meltdown. I remember June 1, 1993...most of the flats in mid SS was gone, no snow. You skied the headwall, walk, skied top of the flats, walk a longer distance then skied the bottom part. Oh yeah, it wasn't raining like the previous June 1 in 1992, it was sunny and cold. I remember skiing with a jacket on, which was ironic for June.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Skied last year April 20-21 with just a t shirt on & was still sweating. Beautiful 2 days with blue skies & sunshine, temps in the 70's. SS wasn't the only trail still open. Upper & lower Skyelark were still open as well as lower Bitter Sweet. Didn't ski the last day because temps were in the 30's with rain so I decided to end my season on a high note.

The May 17 day I skied was pretty much the same as your June date. Had to carry my ski's on the chair, the top of the head wall was washed out but you only had to climb down a couple of steps to the snow. The middle flats were still skiable but it was only one thin sliver of snow in one spot. The top of the bottom steep was washed out & you had to take off your ski's again & walk down a bit then ski to the bottom. Last year there was much more snow than that day but they closed anyway & you could still ski on & off the chair.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Apr 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    1997...I skied on the previous weekend, June 15.

I prefer putting links up with the source (regardless if it's my blog or another source). I don't like getting pages of long list in a forum thread (if we talking about who's open or not), however if they're interested, they can see further. To each, his own, that is my preference after over ten years of read and writing on various forums.

I joined Alpine Zone when someone I didn't know (except the alias which I had seen elsewhere) linked up to my blog and people started commenting on the subject. Just trying to add context. You are more than free not to click. I have over 300 posts on my blog, an extreme small number are ever linked up on any ski forum and I always do it when I know there is an interest from people and can contribute to the discussion.
    I enjoy your contributions to this site.

Thread Information