• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gear Review: PM Gear - 188 Bro Model Soft

koreshot

Item and Brand Name: Soft 188cm Bros from PM Gear

Date Purchased: Feb 2006

Retail Outlet: www.pmgear.com

MSRP: $629

Description of item and your experiences:
I skied these skis one day in Kmart and 5 days in the SLC area.

Hard Snow Performance: these skis are not particularly good at skiing on hard snow. They will get you from point A to point B just fine, will hold edge on hard snow, run through the bumps and not scare the crap out of you on Superstar headwall. But they won't do any of these things with a lot of style. Their turn radius is in the high 30s, so carving tight turns isn't all that fun. On the other hand, the straighline stability on hard snow is great. My old Seth Pistols with similar width under foot but way more sidecut are better at handling hard snow at lower speeds but get very chattery once I get moving. Hard Snow Performance Rating: 3 (for a midfat ski)

Soft Snow Performance: Great in the soft snow. I finally understand what the designers of this ski, and a bunch of ripping skiers on TGR, are talking about when they say that less sidecut equals better soft snow performance. In soft snow, the skis really come to life, they are quick, light, responsive and don't lock you into a particular turn shape like the Seth Pistols do. You feel in control. Straighlining in cut up pow and crud the skis were very stable. Compared to the Bros, the Pistols are slow, sluggish, heavy and dead. The Bros are exactly what I was looking for, versatile, stable and alive in any type of soft snow except for really deep powder (too much camber + I am 220lbs). A go to west ski. Soft Snow Performance Rating: 4.5

Would you recommend the item?
Great go to ski for the West. Works very well in anything other than hard snow and really deep powder. Highly recommended.

I am now in the market for a deep powder ski with similar characteristics - maybe the new 192cm fat Bros PM Gear has been prototyping.

koreshot

NIce man. Hope your trip was good.

Trip was great man. I posted a little report in the trip reports forum, video and all, check it out. Bigo is out there now, getting some good snow it seems - hopefully he will come back with some good stories and pics.