• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Car Dilemma!

Bostonian

So... I have made my final decision...

As much as I love the Audi Product... I am opting for a 2013 Subaru Outback fully loaded and wait a few years to get back into the Audi with the trade of my wife's car. But right now, with the little guy still in daycare, I cannot really justify spending that money on a smaller vehicle when we need bigger. So I am coming back to the Subaru family...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

As much as I love the Audi Product... I am opting for a 2013 Subaru Outback fully loaded and wait a few years to get back into the Audi with the trade of my wife's car. But right now, with the little guy still in daycare, I cannot really justify spending that money on a smaller vehicle when we need bigger. So I am coming back to the Subaru family...

Congrats. Our friends got one a few months ago and it is very nice...and that is coming from an Audi owner. May your new car live long and prosper and take you to many deep pow days.

HD333

Get ready for the Lesbaru comments �� had to say it.
Seriously congrats and I hope you enjoy the purchase. Definitely a capable family car that should last, maybe your young one in daycare can inherit it.

Bostonian

Congrats. Our friends got one a few months ago and it is very nice...and that is coming from an Audi owner. May your new car live long and prosper and take you to many deep pow days.
I am just happy to get out of leasing a car and into financing one with the mileage I have put on my A4.

Get ready for the Lesbaru comments  had to say it.
Seriously congrats and I hope you enjoy the purchase. Definitely a capable family car that should last, maybe your young one in daycare can inherit it.
Yeah I know... Although this generation of outbacks looks more suv-y than the past ones. I did put a deposit down on the car of $100 to hold it as I am tied up until this weekend. But now I have two audi dealerships vying for my attention... Should be interesting next few days.

hammer

I always wonder how well Audis hold up after the first 50K miles...of course I have a Volvo and a Jeep and I wonder about those as well.

Regarding the Subarus, I hope they have improved on the brakes (the ones on my 98 Outback got borderline scary after several years) and I also hope the head gasket issue was finally resolved. Otherwise they are good solid cars with an excellent AWD system.

Warp Daddy

Smart move , we love our 2012 outback Limited .! It is our FIRST subie after 3 decades with Saabs .. Ride is fine , like th e leather interior and the room for stuff is fine ! great winter car

WWF-VT

I always wonder how well Audis hold up after the first 50K miles...of course I have a Volvo and a Jeep and I wonder about those as well.

Regarding the Subarus, I hope they have improved on the brakes (the ones on my 98 Outback got borderline scary after several years) and I also hope the head gasket issue was finally resolved. Otherwise they are good solid cars with an excellent AWD system.

I had a 2001 Audi A6 wagon that hit 206,000 miles that I reluctantly donated to charity and bought an Audi Q5. Our other car is a 2007 Outback that has 91,000 miles and has not aged anywhere near as well as the Audi.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

I had a 2001 Audi A6 wagon that hit 206,000 miles that I reluctantly donated to charity and bought an Audi Q5. Our other car is a 2007 Outback that has 91,000 miles and has not aged anywhere near as well as the Audi.

147,000 on my A6, going strong and it rides like new. I replaced front control arms and upgraded to Koni shocks at about 120K. Other than that, just brakes and oil changes. I have a VAG-COM, buy my own parts online and have a great mechanic.

Bostonian

Man, I am in a big dilemma! So I got the Q5 within $50 of the Outback for a monthly payment... The Q5 would be $2K down for a 2014 premium plus package to be delivered in a few weeks or a red 2013 outback on the lot with $0 down... Damn this is tough!

o3jeff

I would take a Q5 over a Subaru any day but your needs I'm sure a different than mine. I haven't driven either of them but my guess is the Q is more fun to drive? Also sounds like its a 2014 and the Sub is a 2013?

Skimaine

Probably worth checking on how each car will impact your insurance. Could make the difference.

WWF-VT

Man, I am in a big dilemma! So I got the Q5 within $50 of the Outback for a monthly payment... The Q5 would be $2K down for a 2014 premium plus package to be delivered in a few weeks or a red 2013 outback on the lot with $0 down... Damn this is tough!

Tell the Audi sales rep to throw in the all weather floor mats / cargo liner and call it a deal

Bostonian

Tell the Audi sales rep to throw in the all weather floor mats / cargo liner and call it a deal

Didn't get the all weather mats, but I did get a great deal. 5.5% under MSRP and with the Audi Customer Loyalty, the cost of the car came $500 under invoice! I should grab my all weather mats from my old car! HA!

Bostonian

You gotta be in it to win it. They are a bit finicky in some ways but, IMHO, they are worth the added expense.

Once again, Bostonian, enjoy the new ride.

I don't mind putting in the super, all things considered, it isn't that much more expensive. While I will miss my 6-speed manual tranny on the highway, driving down route 2 on my way to work without having it was paradise. Loving the ride and the overall feeling of it though. Cannot wait to put a ski rack on top and head up north for the first snow!!