• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Water Purification while hiking and camping

Huck_It_Baby

I am planning on doing some multi-day hikes/camps this year and I have never done this before. My big concern is having enough water and staying hydrated since I obviously can't carry enough to last the whole time.

I'm wondering what some of you experienced hikers do for water on extended trips? Are you using purification tablets? Or some sort of filtration system?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Huck_It_Baby

Thanks for the links and suggestions everyone. I'm going to do a little research on this stuff to see what works best for me. It seems like there are lots of options out there!

dmc

Pump!!!! Keep the iodine as a backup...

Dont out the clean side in the dirty water... Red cap over the dirty side... :)

Huck_It_Baby

Honestly I'm scared sh**less to drink from a natural water source. Even a relatively clean stream could have a rotting deer carcass upstream somewhere.

All of your suggestions are very helpful thanks!

madman

Bleach; This is whats in your water if you get your water from a public source. 8 drops in a 1 L bottle. If you treat your water and can leave it open for a few Hrs you wont even taste it [Dissipates in air] However most people wont notice because this is what you drink at home. Cost about .02 cents and if you search the Gov web sites you can find a list of how much to use for different amounts of water. I will see if I can find the list later but no time now.

vdk03

Bleach; This is whats in your water if you get your water from a public source. 8 drops in a 1 L bottle. If you treat your water and can leave it open for a few Hrs you wont even taste it [Dissipates in air] However most people wont notice because this is what you drink at home. Cost about .02 cents and if you search the Gov web sites you can find a list of how much to use for different amounts of water. I will see if I can find the list later but no time now.

I have a miox water purifier that i bought it in 2004, and it basically makes a little bleach that you add to your water.
You just put about a teaspoon of water in the top compartment which also has a little salt in it and hit the button to give it an electric charge, then just add it to your water.
Good little device, I've had it almost 10 years and it still works great.

Sent from my C771 using AlpineZone mobile app

o3jeff

I don't think bleach gets rid of all the parasites.

madman

I talked to my lab director and he said Chlorine (Bleach)will kill any Parasites that may be in water in NE. If the water is not clear it may take more Chlorine to treat but in general he thinks Chlorine is a safe and cheap treatment. I have been in the Water Industry for 23 Yrs and have gone Backpacking with 2 others from work and we have all gone to treatment with Chlorine. If you Google Emergency preparedness water treatment you should find any info you need