• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Arapahoe Basin - 5-12-13

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
skiied abay today. weather/conditions are unbelievable. east wall is open and we were able to ski North Pole:spread:

very short TR as I've recently acquired (thank you tax refund) a GoPro Hero 3. As I am typing... a semi short (3 min) total newb vid is processing :)

TR: Went up with about 6 friends to BBQ and make some turns. As we were riding the Lenawee Mountain Lift my friend Phil and I realized East Wall was open.... we were going. We hiked to the top, took a minute to stare in awe at the beautiful mountainous scenery and were on our way. Snow was soft and moveable at that elevation, as we got got lower it got sticky. Coverage is unbelievable.

Will post video in the next hour. Thanks for an amazing late season Arapahoe Basin!!!

skiadikt

wow great stuff. best tr of the season! i've skied lower east wall but never upper. the idea of hiking at 13k is too much for this sea level dweller. loved the self portrait angle. looked like you were havin' a blast. i take it pali was pretty good as well. abasin is one of my faves.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The hike took right about 10 minutes! Not too bad! Definitely gets the blood flowing.
Ah yes, that POV haha - I was definitely having fun experimenting with the new equipment!
it was a great day, will be back this weekend and early next week.

snoseek

Wow, North Pole looking good!

Better late than never on the snow and it looks like Abasins extended season saves the day once again.

Is Pali still going? I know sometimes they close it in the spring in fear it will slide...

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pali was running! Didn't head that way today but it looked like spring bumps galore off the front

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
^thanks! it was fun to make (and ski!!) ...not the best quality/transitions but ill get better! This one was easy because it was only 6 minutes of video so it only took me like 35-40 minutes to make/process. Silverton is still sitting in their waiting to be edited but it's intimidating because its like 3 hours of video.. ahhhh

KevinF

Nice video! I was at A-Basin as well from Friday through Sunday with the EpicSki Mother's Day Gathering group. Coverage was amazing; for the most part, you couldn't hit a rock if you tried.

I did the First Notch chute off of the East Wall on Saturday. The hike really isn't that bad. I didn't time myself, but it was maybe 20 minutes, and that was with a good long stop after the first pitch.

View from the North Pole:
ABasinMothersDay 001.jpg

Mikey1

Great Video, thanks for sharing it with the rest of us very jealous easterners. Have been to A-Basin a couple of times, need to go back again soon.