• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 5/26/13

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I wasn't start hiking until 11:20 (once I got the rest of the family settled in the waterpark :p ).
Snow was still falling above the Metro Quad at 11:20. The freezing line was around the intersection of Goat Run and Alligator Alley.

Intersection of Goat and Upper River Quai was getting deep.

River Quai actually looked tempting:

Deep drifts on Alligator Alley:

I only went to the top of the Flyer:

Where I proceeded to realize that my bindings were set for a friend who borrowed my skis. I had no screw driver... I was sooooo pissed :angry:...down hiked to the patrol shack near the Bonaventure top terminal... found a nail... bent it into a shape that i could use to adjust the screw to move the heal piece back... 45 minutes, one bent nail and one severely twisted house key later, I was finally able to get my skis on my feet.

Skied Goat to Green Mtn Boys:

Savemeasammy

Wildcat: I was there in early April, but it skied more like January. It was cold, windy, and the trails were bulletproof. I enjoyed the mountain, and I would like to get back when the snow is in better shape. There are a number of what I consider to be "classic New England" trails - not terribly wide, with lots of twists and turns. It has a pretty decent pitch top to bottom.

Smugglers' Notch: Wow! As others have mentioned, the lifts are old and slow, but the mountain more than makes up for it. I was there on closing day in the middle of April, but it skied like mid-winter. My ski partner for the day (Riverc0il) and I made a few runs on Madonna, including 2 down the entire length of Liftline. It was a bit sketchy, but still an awesome, challenging run. The weather on the Madonna summit was foggy with varied precip that kept fogging up my glasses (making things unnecessarily difficult!), so we mostly stuck to Sterling. Even so, the skiing was still great. I was barely able to scratch the surface of what the mountain has to offer, and I am looking forward to getting back up there! This is definitely home to some of the north east's more challenging terrain.

dlague

I have to admit - I am jealous! Ended my weekend the weekend before at K-mart! Would rather have ended it at Jay! Nice job on the report, the climb and the off the cuff binding skills! Great pics too!

Just seeing Jay Peak from a distance with white runs makes me wish that the 20-13-2014 season was here!

pcampbell

haha--that is awesome. I hiked MRG that day, was so pissed i didn't bring my skis., however we didn't get as much