$7 to see a Pro NHL team

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166

    $7 to see a Pro NHL team




  2. #2
    snowmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my mind, northern New England
    Posts
    4,066
    This is an argument in favor of having an NHL team in Quebec.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

  3. #3
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    This is an argument in favor of having an NHL team in Quebec.
    Canada should have more teams I think, although if I go to Miami I definitely would pay 7$ dollars to watch that game, but I prefer Key West to Miami.

  4. #4
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,273
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    This is an argument in favor of having an NHL team in Quebec.

    Yeah, exactly. The Nordiques were closed down and I think that the Phoenix team took their slot. Phoenix, IIRC, is nearly bankrupt and the NHL is running that team. Real good idea there. So I'm not surprised to see all these southern teams struggling to get any fans. It just looks bad and it shows that the league is not really focusing on their core demographic. Hockey, from what I'm told, is the equivalent to our MLB, NFL, and NBA all rolled into one in Canada with a very high percentage of viewers in the country. Having the NHL in NYC making dumb decisions hurts the sport.

    I also think that NBC is covering the NHL with about the same skill as they did the Olympics and that doesn't help. The games I've watched have included some pretty obvious programming errors and problems that a producer/director should have caught....like showing the Claude Julien pep talk last night for two minutes without the audio. Just dumb. Why can't I get CBC? That said, I just discovered that I get the NHL Network on my cable (schweet).

    And on an odder note.....I also think it is odd that they don't sing "Oh Canada" at NHL games since most of the viewers are Canadians, most of the players are Canadians, and it is truly a Canadian sport. They did this at all Middlebury games...the American and Canadian anthems...so I just assumed it was done at all hockey games. But I guess I'm the one that might be odd.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  5. #5
    I would guess that that is if you bought a season ticket package. And the worst seats in the arena.

    Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    104(12/13)
    105
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 )
    Blizzard Brahma Limited Edition (180)
    Atomic Redster XT(175)

  6. #6
    $7 for a seat, then in VERY small print "all beers are $50 a piece with a 1 beer per game minimum"

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

  7. #7
    snowmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my mind, northern New England
    Posts
    4,066
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Yeah, exactly. The Nordiques were closed down and I think that the Phoenix team took their slot. Phoenix, IIRC, is nearly bankrupt and the NHL is running that team. Real good idea there. So I'm not surprised to see all these southern teams struggling to get any fans. It just looks bad and it shows that the league is not really focusing on their core demographic. Hockey, from what I'm told, is the equivalent to our MLB, NFL, and NBA all rolled into one in Canada with a very high percentage of viewers in the country. Having the NHL in NYC making dumb decisions hurts the sport.

    I also think that NBC is covering the NHL with about the same skill as they did the Olympics and that doesn't help. The games I've watched have included some pretty obvious programming errors and problems that a producer/director should have caught....like showing the Claude Julien pep talk last night for two minutes without the audio. Just dumb. Why can't I get CBC? That said, I just discovered that I get the NHL Network on my cable (schweet).

    And on an odder note.....I also think it is odd that they don't sing "Oh Canada" at NHL games since most of the viewers are Canadians, most of the players are Canadians, and it is truly a Canadian sport. They did this at all Middlebury games...the American and Canadian anthems...so I just assumed it was done at all hockey games. But I guess I'm the one that might be odd.
    The Nordiques actually became the Avalanche -- and the Avs promptly won the Cup on the year that they moved. If they move the Coyotes, Quebec hopes to be in play. The big reason the Canadians started losing their hockey teams was because they were financially uncompetitive because of the exchange rate. With the Canadian dollar strong against the US Dollar, there's more parity now. It could only be a question of time. However, Quebec still suffers from the same problem that made Lindros and his/mom spurn it: small market. There's also the question of whether the corporate fanbase is present in Quebec to pay for luxury boxes and premium seats.

    There's no question about Canada's hockey obsession. I know I've crossed the 45th Parallel when every TV station has wall to wall to wall hockey coverage.

    Re: Anthems: I think playing the Canadian anthem is appropriate given the composition of the participants (i.e., the athletes) and that the Cup itself started as a Canadian trophy.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

  8. #8
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166
    Well being a hockey fan in NYC can be annoying. Any time some happens to Rangers say the goalie is up for the Best goalie of the league which he is again go Henry I have a better change of hearing about it on 880am the 660 sports talk.

  9. #9
    ScottySkis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Posts
    11,166
    19 years ago today NY had a Stanley cup to hold and drink out of, I remember that playoffs like it was yesterday.

  10. #10
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    26,273
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    The Nordiques actually became the Avalanche -- and the Avs promptly won the Cup on the year that they moved. If they move the Coyotes, Quebec hopes to be in play. The big reason the Canadians started losing their hockey teams was because they were financially uncompetitive because of the exchange rate. With the Canadian dollar strong against the US Dollar, there's more parity now. It could only be a question of time. However, Quebec still suffers from the same problem that made Lindros and his/mom spurn it: small market. There's also the question of whether the corporate fanbase is present in Quebec to pay for luxury boxes and premium seats.

    There's no question about Canada's hockey obsession. I know I've crossed the 45th Parallel when every TV station has wall to wall to wall hockey coverage.

    Re: Anthems: I think playing the Canadian anthem is appropriate given the composition of the participants (i.e., the athletes) and that the Cup itself started as a Canadian trophy.
    That's funny that the Colorado team won in its first season. Good points on why they had a tough time in Canada....but I know that the exchange rate is now (slightly) better.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.