• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

HGTV Dreamhome 2014

gmcunni

HGTV’s 18th annual Dream Home, a custom-built, fully furnished home set in the Schaffer’s Mill community of Truckee, Calif., will offer breathtaking panoramic views of the Carson Range that separates California and Nevada.

guess i'll be moving to Tahoe next year, season pass to Alpine Meadows.

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home/index.html

gmcunni

DH2014_rendering_s4x3_lg.jpg

DH2014_floor-plan-lower-level_s4x3_lg.jpg

DH2014_floor-plan-upper-level_s4x3_lg.jpg

drjeff

I'm sure it would be nicer once built and inside it, but my 1st take on looking at the plans is that there's too much glass for my taste, it seems a bit cramped with the layout, I'd like the laundry room to be on the same floor as ALL of the bedrooms(this is the best, most user friendly renovation/addition work item that my wife and I ever did to our own house!!!) and I'm NOT a fan of the media room being on a separate floor than the kitchen.

This HGTV dream home doesn't seem to be quite as much on the scale as past HGTV dream homes. Maybe the designers and HGTV decided to build one where the winner might actually be able to afford the likely taxes on it unlike some of the past ones

bigbog

...Major questions would be...where's the ski tuning room, and garage with additional room for canoes/kayaks...
Also lacking a book/computer room up top...but other than those...what a place.

Last edited:

bigbog

Agreed, definitely a little strange in its design and a lot of glass....but you have to admit a great area. I imagine there must be some sort of minimum time till renovation is possible...y/n?

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can stay in the guest bedroom when you come visit me.

Thanks G!. Apologies in advance for blasting the latest live recording from AZ Greg's So What Band in the media room right above your master bedroom.

My question for you is, what glass door / window will your squirrels hang out at? ;)

gmcunni

i'm excited to win this and move out west over the summer. hardest part will be demoting my new 98mm skis to my "groomer" ski and picking up some new fatty sticks for pow days... or maybe the hard part will be deciding which N Tahoe mountain i'll want to call my home hill. I was leaning towards Alpine Meadows but the community I'll be living in runs a shuttle back and forth to Northstar.

http://www.hgtv.com/dream-home/index.html

x10003q

That is a horrible layout. Why would you ever put a media/family room over a master bedroom? There is very little common space and zero space for winter gear or summer gear unless you decide not to use the garage for your cars. The dramatic connecting foyer is a big waste of space in a house lacking space. I am sure it will be expensive to heat the house despite the high tech windows. A smaller house is fine, just make it useful for a resort area.

If I was lucky enough to win it I would sell it as soon as possible. I am sure I have nothing to worry about.:spin:

gmcunni

That is a horrible layout. Why would you ever put a media/family room over a master bedroom? There is very little common space and zero space for winter gear or summer gear unless you decide not to use the garage for your cars. The dramatic connecting foyer is a big waste of space in a house lacking space. I am sure it will be expensive to heat the house despite the high tech windows. A smaller house is fine, just make it useful for a resort area.

If I was lucky enough to win it I would sell it as soon as possible. I am sure I have nothing to worry about.:spin:

i wholeheartedly agree, the layout is crappy. i work from home and there is no dedicated office space for me. i'll end up converting space in the larger bedroom upstairs i think. but i'll enjoy living there regardless :)

Rowsdower

I'm not a fan of contemporary architecture in general. It's faux rustic. Too much glass. Weird floorplan. Just seems like this place is trying too hard and comes off cold and awkward.

x10003q

i wholeheartedly agree, the layout is crappy. i work from home and there is no dedicated office space for me. i'll end up converting space in the larger bedroom upstairs i think. but i'll enjoy living there regardless :)

It would be cool if some skiers won it. I wonder how many entries they get?

KD7000

That is a horrible layout. Why would you ever put a media/family room over a master bedroom? There is very little common space and zero space for winter gear or summer gear unless you decide not to use the garage for your cars. The dramatic connecting foyer is a big waste of space in a house lacking space.
Yup. That crossover hallway should be twice as wide, with 3/4 of the space dedicated to workshop/ storage, and 1/4 for a hallway. Media room could then be on the 2nd floor above that.