Walking Thread - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walking Thread

I think walking burns close to as many calories as running per mile. However since you are doing that mile much slower than running or jogging, the equivolent calorie burn takes much longer. I think I burn about 150 cal / mile running and about 130 - 140 per mile walking.

I have a desk job so moving is important, even if it's walking. I normally run frequently but walking is good also.

Oh and if you have a baby pushing a stroller adds some extra effort
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I walk quite a bit and I always take the stairs.. our company has a Milestone challenge going on right now, we can win raffles, reward money, etc. It's been interesting tracking my workouts based on time. I've never done that before; it's neat to look back at my spreadsheet and see how often i work out, how much, what i'm doing, etc.

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Two weeks of walking 3 miles in the morning today I am wearing my Alta shirt and saw someone else wearing their Alta shirt and gave him thumbs up, pretty cool love skiing can't wait for winter to come.

Less then 90 minutes to Catskills and 5 miles from the great Sams point
    Walking in 3 + miles every day since late August this weather now is my favorite for walking.

Yeah it's beautiful now. I have been using a Fitbit tracker. It's interesting because it counts your steps. what I have discovered so far,

On days I don't work out and go in the office, I am only ending up with about 4000 steps in a day. That is very low, in my opinion. A 5-mile run for me is about 6,000 steps. A walk with the stroller up and down the road is about 1500 steps. Actively playing with my son does something like 1000 steps an hour.

On days when I work from home and play with my son, walk up and down the road once or twice, and do a four or five mile run, I will hit 15,000 steps. If I'm doing yardwork or something, I can easily get to 20,000.

Interesting though because I never thought I was really sedentary but then you think about days when you are just sitting on your ass and working and there is really no worthwhile movement at all.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

I believe the hope is to get people to take 6,000 steps a day. Getting to 15k or 20k is fantastic. I try to walk as much as possible during the work day in NYC. I easily manage 3+ mikes at lunch and occasionally get past 5 miles. I didn't walk much over the summer as I would come back in my dress clothes a sweaty mess but I've been back to 3 or 4 times a week plus whatever else I do outside work. I really need to get back to the gym though....

Quote Originally Posted by jrmagic View Post
    I believe the hope is to get people to take 6,000 steps a day. Getting to 15k or 20k is fantastic. I try to walk as much as possible during the work day in NYC. I easily manage 3+ mikes at lunch
    Wow...3+ mikes hard lemonades at lunch is a lot!
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

I've been walking 2-1/2 -3 miles 3-4 times a week since last spring when I was finally able to walk again. That takes me 45 minutes to an hour. I also do all kinds of arm raising/stretching exercises while I'm walking. After the walk I spend about 15/20 minutes doing leg stretching & raising exercises. Work up a pretty good sweat even on cool days.

Thread Information