"Toughest" Marathon?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Toughest" Marathon?

I've only ran one, when I was in the service, and it was pretty damn tiring. I've been trying to get back into shape and work up to a half marathon next year.

Apparently there are a few that are pretty crazy, one starts at the base camp to everest, another is in antarctica, and there is a race in death valley around this time of year (not sure if it is actually a marathon though)

Anyone ran anything this intense?
    2017/2018 Days

A-Basin - 10/13

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

10k is my limit I could never motivate myself for the kind of training that is needed to run a marathon. That one on Everest must be insane, altitude sickness is a b*tch!
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

If you want to go tough there are plenty of races beyond marathon length that put any marathon to shame. Some of the 100 milers have 20,000+ elevation gain, or there's Badwater which starts at the lowest point in Death Valley and ends partway up Mt Whitney (135 miles away).

For road marathons the Inca Trail marathon is technically a road, but a pretty bad one. For trail marathons, the Pike's Peak Marathon would be a contender.

I've done Boston twice but usually my runs cap at 5 miles. With an occasional 6

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Anyone ran the Hawaii marathon before? (it's on my bday next year!) It starts at 5:30AM, holy early. VDK03 is interetsed in completing a marathon next year and I told him I would totally join him and train with him. Now we just need to find one!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've done Boston twice but usually my runs cap at 5 miles. With an occasional 6
    How many months of training did that take? My neighbor across the street has run at least one marathon but I don't know what his training schedule was like. Feel like the running I do now (which may get me ready for a 10K) is about as much as I can get in without pushing other stuff aside.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    How many months of training did that take? My neighbor across the street has run at least one marathon but I don't know what his training schedule was like. Feel like the running I do now (which may get me ready for a 10K) is about as much as I can get in without pushing other stuff aside.
    Took me about 3 - 4 months of training to go from my normal 5 - 6 miles up to the marathon readiness.

I would usually run 5x per week, I would do three 6 - 7 mile runs, one 8 - 10 miler, and then a long run every saturday that kept getting longer and longer. The longest run I did ahead of the marathon was I think 18 miles, which probably wasn't sufficient, I was hurting at the end of 26.

It is a commitment though. Every Saturday was like 3 - 4 hours of running.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

3-4 months prep is the generally recommended time; there are plenty of marathon prep plans online. My longest run was 22 which I did three weeks before the marathon, plus a few 18 milers along the way. Your weekends consist of preparing to run, running, and recovering from runs.

I've only ran one marathon (Hartford). I spent my summer prior to that in Colorado running every day in the desert heat south of Grand Junction. When I came back I jumped on my girlfriends "training plan". I think the longest run I did before the marathon was 22 miles as well and i felt amazing. I wish I felt that way on marathon day.. I still did well and finished but I guess some days you just feel better than others. I guess I almost trained for 4 months prior to that marathon, i was ready, but could have been more prepared I think.. I never really followed a training program, just ran.

I've run the New Jersey Waterfront Marathon twice (no longer in existence). Each time it was a differnt route, first time started in Liberty State Park in Jersey city went into North Bergen and back. Second time around (kind of cool) started at the halfway point of the George Washington bridge and finished at the 50 yard line of Giants Stadium. Both were very hilly. Funny how people's minds work, when I mentioned that, the first thing to come out of their mouths "Have you run the NY Marathon" as if that's a big deal. To me NY Marathon is not a runners race, it's a media circus unless you're a serious contender.

Thread Information