• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Frankenstein Cliffs->Arethusa Falls Loop 7/16/2013

Started around 9:45. Very few cars in the upper lot at that time. After passing under the railroad trestle, it's straight up to the cliffs. I think it's roughly a 1200 ft gain in less than a mile with some tricky scrambling and stream crossings. having my 30+ lb son on my back made it a more strenuous workout. In fairness, he did walk the portion up until the trestle, and then again along the ridge after the cliffs. The top of the cliff is a great view, and a good place for lunch.

1000450_10200928180784091_259502209_n.jpg

as I recall it was about 2 miles along the ridge, with some nice views between the trees, and then we hit the junction for the spur down to the base of the falls. On a hot day the water was just what the doctor ordered and I had a good soak.

1003306_10200928181344105_1159458341_n.jpg

The break made the climb back up to the main trail much easier, then we descended the arethusa falls trail back down the lot. We took our time on this hike and got back to the car a little after 3pm. We ran into only 3 groups before we hit the falls trail, as I guess most folks just go up and down for the falls. The solitude was really nice. A round of cider slushies topped off a great day in the woods.

Cornhead

Looks like a great spot SMH, enjoy the little one, mine will be 24 on the first, where, oh where, has the time gone? Looking forward to sharing some turns again with you at Elk. Maybe I could make a trip to Blue, never been there. The only places I've skied in PA are Elk, and Shawnee.

Looks like a great spot SMH, enjoy the little one, mine will be 24 on the first, where, oh where, has the time gone? Looking forward to sharing some turns again with you at Elk. Maybe I could make a trip to Blue, never been there. The only places I've skied in PA are Elk, and Shawnee.

yeah i think this is the last year i'm carrying him anywhere...he's getting heavier and i'm getting older

you know it...hopefully mr scott gets up there too (and vinny, mrs vinny, ski3po and family and anyone else!), and let's make sure mr scott has a jacket this time :) my advice would be not to bother with the xtra hour to get down to blue...hell i drive an hour past it to get to elk

Cornhead

yeah i think this is the last year i'm carrying him anywhere...he's getting heavier and i'm getting older

you know it...hopefully mr scott gets up there too (and vinny, mrs vinny, ski3po and family and anyone else!), and let's make sure mr scott has a jacket this time :) my advice would be not to bother with the xtra hour to get down to blue...hell i drive an hour past it to get to elk
Point well taken, I'm always game for somewhere new, even if it is a shitty PA molehill. Yeah, that was a rough day for Scotty, fun day for me though. That trail with the manmade on top of the bumps was pretty cool. You think I'd know the names of the trails by now, Tioga, I think. I don't think I've ever experienced that before. If you couldn't ski those bumps, you can't ski any. They were like Styrofoam bumps. If Elk only had some trees to ski, it would be great. I still think if I had to choose between Elk and Greek, I'd choose Greek. Elk has better grooming and bumps, more variety at Greek.

Savor every moment with your Son, you'll be sliding the seat of his car up to reach the pedals before you know it!

ScottySkis

Point well taken, I'm always game for somewhere new, even if it is a shitty PA molehill. Yeah, that was a rough day for Scotty, fun day for me though. That trail with the manmade on top of the bumps was pretty cool. You think I'd know the names of the trails by now, Tioga, I think. I don't think I've ever experienced that before. If you couldn't ski those bumps, you can't ski any. They were like Styrofoam bumps. If Elk only had some trees to ski, it would be great. I still think if I had to choose between Elk and Greek, I'd choose Greek. Elk has better grooming and bumps, more variety at Greek.

Savor every moment with your Son, you'll be sliding the seat of his car up to reach the pedals before you know it!
+1 I look foward to skiing with the crew this winter, hopefully in PA Elk and were ever else I like to try a new place every year. Hopefully snow falls this year in Roxbury for Powderdazie, would be first in couple years.
Yes I have a winter ugly coat I will use so I'm not frozen like last time, though I did enjoy the waffle dinner in PA.

Cornhead

Yeah, really looking forward to my first "Powder Daize" at Platty, don't think there's been one since I've been skiing there. One of my highlights of last season was a weekday powder day at dinky little Snow Ridge.

ScottySkis

Yeah, really looking forward to my first "Powder Daize" at Platty, don't think there's been one since I've been skiing there. One of my highlights of last season was a weekday powder day at dinky little Snow Ridge.

They were supposed to have one on the weekend went and got a hotel and turn out to be not much snow, but it was fun regardless oh ya you were their, lol.

Cornhead

Powder Daize are weekdays, when they're normal not open. I can't think of a better reason not to go to work. :wink: It was great skiing Platty with you those two weekends. Glad I got to turn you on to Brook's BBQ. I'm eating a dozen wings now that cost as much as a combo dinner at Brook's.

ScottySkis

Powder Daize are weekdays, when they're normal not open. I can't think of a better reason not to go to work. :wink: It was great skiing Platty with you those two weekends. Glad I got to turn you on to Brook's BBQ. I'm eating a dozen wings now that cost as much as a combo dinner at Brook's.

Can't wait to eat at Brooks delicious restaurant this winter, maybe mid week powder day so much snow that hotel is required and can't go to work please snow god bring powdered days to Platty this winter.