• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Kineo-Moosehead Lake 7.31.13

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mt Kineo is one of the prominent landmarks in the Moosehead Lake area and a very scenic mountain. I hiked here last year in very hazy conditions and a clear morning Wednesday seemed promising for better views.
The trip started with a paddle from Rockwood to the bottom of Kineo. Moosehead Lake is prone to rough water and this day it was throwing it at us with some strong winds funneling down the narrows between Rockwood and Kineo. The clear morning didn't last til we made it to the mountain in the afternoon and more haze made for moderate visibility at best. One day I'll get this little mountain on a blue bird day. A fire tower gives fine 360 degree views nonetheless. The Indian Trail is a must for at least part of the hike as it has the best views traversing the top of the cliff. We did see a bear lope across the road approaching Rockwood on the drive.
Full report and lots of pictures at my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2...moosehead.html