• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windows 8/IE 10 issue- no carriage return

ctenidae

Title says it all, really. When posting from a Surface Pro in IE 10, "Enter" does nothing. There's no way to get a carriage return, so everything stays in one paragraph. Not sure if it's an issue centered on IE 10, Windows 8, Surface, or a setting in the forum software. But, as cool as the Surface is, surely it's an issue that will crop up again, especially as the number of Surface users globally is expected to more than double, from 4 to 10 within the next 3-5 years.

Edd

This was mentioned recently in another thread (can't remember which). It occurs on iOS devices (using Tapatalk) as well. The problem is intermittent. Been happening for awhile.

xwhaler

I just got upgraded to windows 10/office 7 at work. I do a lot of excel based reporting so in time I will prob grow to love the features

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AlpineZone mobile app

ctenidae

Does pressing "Enter" on other websites result in a carriage return?
Alpinezone is my only forum posting, so hard to say... Carriage return not working this morning. Interestingly, a reply I posted last night, when it was working, isn't showing up. Odd, that...

bvibert

Staff member
Alpinezone is my only forum posting, so hard to say... Carriage return not working this morning. Interestingly, a reply I posted last night, when it was working, isn't showing up. Odd, that...

Are you sure it wasn't a dream?

ctenidae

Huh.

It works for me on Chrome. Just FWIW, Surface Pro runs full on Windows 8 right? Not just the Windows RT?

Yep, full W8 on the Pro (gotta say, I like it a lot). Carriage return not working IE10 right now. I'll flip to Chrome and see if that works.

ctenidae

Trying now with Chrome in W8 mode.

working, assuming it posts, but it didn't recognize the text box, so I had to call up the keyboard manually (and it's not autocapitalizing "I").

also, no pinch to zoom in Chrome makes it next to useless as a tablet browser.

ctenidae

IE10 in desktop mode. Not working. Interesting. I guess I need to figure out how to default IE to W8 mode, but alt-tabbing may get tricky.

ctenidae

So, supposedly adding alpinezone.com to the compatibility view list solves the problem.
And, it does.
However, the icons on the formatting buttons above the text box here don't show (except for the break link button), and the Index/Forums/Announcements line across the top is screwy. At the bottom, it's fine.