• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Re: prescription goggles

HowieT2

Re: prescription goggles

I wear contacts only for skiing but have been having increasing problems with them. Anyone have any recommendations???

Puck it

That is what I do too. And it sucks. I can not read the menu in the bar. Rx goggles look stupid with the insert though. I want to get Lasik and only have reading glasses.

Smellytele

That is what I do too. And it sucks. I can not read the menu in the bar. Rx goggles look stupid with the insert though. I want to get Lasik and only have reading glasses.

I was at a restaurant this past weekend and my wife had to read the menu to me because I didn't have my reading glasses. What a drag it is getting old.

o3jeff

I did the laser(PRK) about 7 years ago and am back to glasses for distance(night vision seems the worst) since after you hit 40 your eyes naturally deteriorate. They said they could redo it but no guarantee how long it would last this time. Ended up getting a pair of glasses for now.

hammer

I was at a restaurant this past weekend and my wife had to read the menu to me because I didn't have my reading glasses. What a drag it is getting old.
Hear you on that...between the laminating and the reduced lighting I can't read restaurant menus anymore without assistance. Managed to avoid reading glasses until mid 40s but I think I'll need glasses full time in another year or two.

Strange but I tend to think it's easier for people who wear glasses full time.

I don't think I could ever adapt to contacts.

wa-loaf

I did the laser(PRK) about 7 years ago and am back to glasses for distance(night vision seems the worst) since after you hit 40 your eyes naturally deteriorate. They said they could redo it but no guarantee how long it would last this time. Ended up getting a pair of glasses for now.

My eyesight got progressively worse from my teens to mid 30's. It's been pretty level since then. Reading is starting to be a problem though. Contacts work well enough for me, but I'd love to get lazik at some point.

Skimaine

I where glasses and googles that fit over my glasses. They have a fan that keeps the whole mess from fogging. I think they are Smith's and they work well for me.

Hawkshot99

I dont need glasses. But the peole i know who wear do prefere OTG goggles over glasses. They say perscription goggles are great, but they can only see if wearing the goggles. Lunch in the lodge or anytime they wiuld want to take them off they cant see.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

x10003q

I had Lasik 12 years ago and I have zero problems. There are a host of factors that make you a good or bad candidate. I just started using +1 reading glasses, but I can still read most things in good light. I wore contacts for skiing before Lasix and my eyes were always dry and I always wore goggles. The first time I went skiing without having to deal with contacts was a happy day.
Get a consult on Lasik.

Last edited:

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
i have a Rx insert for my goggles aka adult rec specs - it's fine! My friends definitely know I have them and make fun of me... but I don't wear contacts and since my eyes are getting continuously worse still I'm not a very good candidate for lasik. I only need my glasses for night time driving/watching TV but I noticed a significant difference in wearing my inserts on the mtn. I need new goggles this year so I'll just make sure to buy tinted

Edd

I wear contacts only for skiing but have been having increasing problems with them. Anyone have any recommendations???

Are you wearing daily disposables for contacts? I've worn glasses / contacts since I was a pre-teen and I eventually had to move to disposables because the longer term ones irritated my eyes.

I wear them skiing but mostly wear glasses otherwise. I'm a Lasik candidate but am scared to do it.

darent

I wear glasses all the time,Bifocals, and they were a pain skiing, so when skiing I use daily disposables and carry a cheap pair of cheaters for the lodge. solved all my headaches and haven't had any problems with the contacts. I use Acuvue Moist contacts. I can read all the mountain trail signs and use the cheaters if I need to look at a small trail map.

HowieT2

Are you wearing daily disposables for contacts? I've worn glasses / contacts since I was a pre-teen and I eventually had to move to disposables because the longer term ones irritated my eyes.

I wear them skiing but mostly wear glasses otherwise. I'm a Lasik candidate but am scared to do it.

i wore long term contacts exclusively for years until 3 years ago when I had a problem. Since then, I can only wear 2-3 days in a row before getting a bad reaction. The contacts are fine when they are in, it's a reaction On the eyelids. I'm going out west for 6 days and want to have the rx goggles as a backup. No way I'm chancing having to ski with my eyes on fire.
I too am scared of LASIK. Spoke to ophthalmologist about different contacts (including the accuvue moist) but he didn't think it would address my issue.

Cornhead

My Sunday ski buddy actually wears one contact to correct his nearsidedness, the other his far. I think this would drive me nuts, but it would be great to be able to read trail maps, menus, and such without having to rely on cheaters. I wear contacts, and can still read when they are out. As soon as I put them in, I need cheaters for reading. The only other time I wear glasses is while watching TV in bed. I pivot my glasses to rest on top of my head to switch from TV to phone. I am bald, I remember going to the bathroom, looking in the mirror, and wondering what the hell the two indentations in my head were. They were from the nosepieces of my glasses.

I have worn one contact out of necessity for a short time in the past. You do adjust to your vision being blurry in one eye, but I still think I would prefer the inconvenience of cheaters. I wore glasses when I started skiing, and can't imagine wearing them to ski now, contacts are so much better. I'd love to have Lasik, but it makes me nervous. Contacts can be a pita late in the day when they become dry, gunky, and uncomfortable.

JDMRoma

Im in the same boat, contacts are what I use for skiing .......granted I cant read the menu at the bar either but
I can figure that out easy enough !! As long as I can see to ski Im good !

Robbski

I can't see my skis when I am on them without my glasses, so having good eyewear on the mountain is critical or skiing ain't no fun at all. OTG was way to foggy for me. I eventually ended up with Smith phenom turbo fan goggles with prescription insert. They are amazing. the down side is, even though I low balled them on steep and cheap, by the time I got the inserts ground I dumped a goodly sum of cash. They cost more than any pair of skis I've ever bought. As far as aesthetics are concerned, they don't look any goofier than any other goggle helmet rig I've ever seen.

For the lodge I carry my street glasses in a hard case zipped in a napoleon pocket.