• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Torn Meniscius

SKIQUATTRO

so I have a torn meniscius (inside R knee), not huge but giving some discomfort...doc says he can go in and snip it/clean it up or leave alone, my call.....anyone go thru this? i have to do it now to make sure the knee is ready for tele-turns mid december....

Puck it

No problem recovery is quick. I have had it done a couple times and a reconstruction. I have only 5% of the cartilage left. My first time, I walked out of the hospital and had no issues. Do it now and you will be fine for late November even.

Geoff

Here's my torn meniscus last April. I tore it Thanksgiving day. I was a total moron for not getting it fixed the first week of December. It F'ed up my ski season because it kept locking up/swelling on me. It's a routine in-and-out day procedure and you'll ditch the crutches when you wake up the next morning. Pro football players are back playing 4 weeks later.

8681846082_a06f67f73f.jpg

darent

been thru it twice, quick recovery the first time. the second time took longer to feel normal, It bothered me where they inserted the scope but it finally healed up ,

gmcunni

so I have a torn meniscius (inside R knee), not huge but giving some discomfort...doc says he can go in and snip it/clean it up or leave alone, my call.....anyone go thru this? i have to do it now to make sure the knee is ready for tele-turns mid december....

i'm in same boat, hurts less now than it did over the summer but i'm worried what will happen once ski season starts. i'm thinking i'll get it done in next 3-4 weeks.

snowmonster

I have torn meniscii in both knees: The left one from soccer and the right one from skiing (I hit a tree with it). I only went to the doctor for the left knee. They did some MRIs then put me in a knee brace for a few weeks. Knee resolved itself. At that time (early 2000's), they only recommended surgery if I was a pro athlete. Since then, I've been doing a lot of exercises to strengthen my thighs and calves. I re-injured the left knee while ice skating in 2004 then at around 2008, injured the right knee while skiing. Being poor and without insurance at that time, in both cases, I self-medicated. I iced the knee and just stuck it in a brace for a few weeks, hobbling around in pain with no crutches. Knock on wood, my knees are fine now. The only precaution I take while skiing is to do knee bends and rotations before skiing and skiing with knee pads. I know I am an extreme case because I have a tendency to self-medicate. I come from a family of doctors but the most important lesson I learned from them was that the body has to be allowed to heal itself. I don't recommend my methods to anyone. But, I was able to enjoy skiing for nine seasons on a pair of dodgy knees and ankles.