Jay Peak Lawsuit

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Jay Peak Lawsuit

Anyone else see or hear about this?

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20131014/NEWS07/310140030/Lawsuit-Jay-Peak-snowboard-instructor-struck-injured-5-year-old-on-Vermont-slopes-in-April

That's terrible - I hope she recovers fully. Lacerated liver? Yikes.

Weird that Jay Peak had apparently terminated the employee in question but had yet to revoke his employee lift pass, as they were going to "exchange" it for his final paycheck? Knowing what ski area employees are paid, I'm thinking a lift pass is worth more than the paycheck.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

Brings to mind a thread from a week or so ago about lawsuits and crashes, and where to stop on the trail....

I guess they will be taking fired employees passes when they are fired not a week later. Also I don't think the actual instructor teaching the class is liable but who am I to say what will be found in a court of law.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    I guess they will be taking fired employees passes when they are fired not a week later. Also I don't think the actual instructor teaching the class is liable but who am I to say what will be found in a court of law.
    Yeah, my thoughts as well.

What a crappy thing. As a former instructor - and really, as anyone with any sense - he would certainly know lessons and beginners would be found on that trail. Awful to be bombing and unable to stop in time in an area like that.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    Weird that Jay Peak had apparently terminated the employee in question but had yet to revoke his employee lift pass, as they were going to "exchange" it for his final paycheck? Knowing what ski area employees are paid, I'm thinking a lift pass is worth more than the paycheck.
    A pass doesn't have much value left in April, which is when the incident occurred.
    EDIT: I read the BFP article which has more detail than the WCAX story. So the guy had been fired and hadn't turned in his pass and Jay was holding his final paycheck as a way to force him to turn it in. Couldn't Jay’s administration have just told the RFID system that the pass was no longer valid?

That being beside the point, I feel this is totally on the guy that rode into the class. Bombing down Interstate is stupid since there are so many beginners on it. I know personally, I try to keep speed up going down that trail but I’m willing to sacrifice some speed by standing upright and not dropping into a tucked position (a low aerodynamic position would be the only way to maintain anything close to 50mph on this trail). Standing upright which allows me to see over the gentle rolls in the terrain. Trying to place blame on the instructor seems asinine but they are probably taking the shotgun approach to the lawsuit and trying to see what sticks.
    Last edited by from_the_NEK; Oct 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    They shouldn't have to even take the pass. They can deactivate the pass so it doesn't scan.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

I don't really see the relevance of the ski pass UNLESS the guy was fired for reckless skiing.

If some one won a free pass from Jay, and crashed, that doesn't make Jay responsible, does it? If the guy was still employed and skiing on his day off, would that make Jay responsible?

This goes back to that last thread for me - the person who should be sued - ASSUMING he was just bombing, unable to stop in time to avoid other skiers - is the person who slammed into the little girl.

That sounds terrible. Unfortunately it's a situation of a bad apple employee I guess.

Sounds like they are also suing the ski school instructor and the employee who collided with the girl (Vincent).

I wonder what he had been fired for.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information