• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

anyone have an ok mountain bike for sale or trade

ScottySkis

Sheets and robes? Only Scotty! Too bad you bought two Wallybikes, probably could have got one decent bike for what you spent on them. Go to a local shop and see what they've got. Just like skiing, it's good to build a relationship with a local shop, and help keep them in business.

I think I will try to save money and buy the bike next year from a local bike shop. I just hike to ski season can't spend money on bike I miss out on cheap stuff cards I need for skiing cheaply.

ScottySkis

Someone on craigslist is selling a trek frame Alpha aluminum frame with nothing else for 45$ maybe I should buy it and put the rest of my bike parts from Walmart on this frame wondering if it be a good idea or how much it would cost at local bike shop to do this anyone know?

BackLoafRiver

Depends on the number of parts...to get my road bike stuff switched from one frame to the next it was a bit over $100 BUT I also got a decent discount on the labor.

BackLoafRiver

FWIW - the advice in the other thread is probably the best you are going to get.

Save your money for now and keep riding your bike that you currently have. There is a chance that your components won't work on the frame anyway.

bvibert

Staff member
The biggest problem with buying online is getting the right size/fit.

What are you looking at? I don't see anything that looks like it's in your budget??

ScottySkis

The biggest problem with buying online is getting the right size/fit.

What are you looking at? I don't see anything that looks like it's in your budget??

I was just curious, I hope to save money so by spring I could spend 500 on a good bike.

bvibert

Staff member
Buying online can be a good way to make your money go further, you just need to know what you're looking at. Getting the right size frame is very important.

ScottySkis

00O0O_cNB9JJmwOZF_600x450.jpg
Perfect winter project frame. 18" this is more or less what most companies call "medium" size. Grab this and build it into a fixie, übercommuter or just a plain old sweet mountain bike. Frame is trek's proprietary alpha aluminum blend yielding a surprisingly agile and light frame at this price point. Frame is in good condition, no damage other than a few mild scuffs here and there to the decals and paint. Bike can accept discs or v brakes and uses a standard 1 1/8" threadless headset. I'll include a bontrager seat post with it too. I was thinking about buying this frame and getting parts for it from pricepoint.com over the winterTrek alpha aluminum mountain frame- light and responsive!!! - $45 (New Paltz)

Trek alpha aluminum mountain frame- light and responsive!!! - $45 (New Paltz)

00303_dcpfXXIlKLd_600x450.jpg

Trek alpha aluminum mountain frame- light and responsive!!! - $45 (New Paltz)

I was thinking of buying this and getting parts from pricepoint.com or taking parts from walmart bike and putting on this.

bvibert

Staff member
I was thinking of buying this and getting parts from pricepoint.com or taking parts from walmart bike and putting on this.

There's likely nothing on the walmart bike that you can or would want to transfer over to this frame. Buying the parts individually is most likely going to cost you more than just buying an assembled bike.

That looks like a decent frame, and I'm sure that $45 is a fair price, but it's basically a low end MTB frame that retailed for $300 in 2006 as a complete bike.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Trek&Model=3700

HowieT2

650B baby for us right coasters!!!!!!

This is the one I am looking at.

full_2014_Pivot_Firebird_27.5.jpg

Niner's are better for out west in IMO.

totally agree. In the market for a new bike. Rode a 29er while on vacation. Found it to be heavy and sluggish on quick climbs. Will be getting 27.5.

ScottySkis

totally agree. In the market for a new bike. Rode a 29er while on vacation. Found it to be heavy and sluggish on quick climbs. Will be getting 27.5.

That looks like a sweet bike I know it out of my budget just curious what price range is on it?

Hawkshot99

$5700, if I get a good price on one then I could sell my old one to for a reasonable price.

HIDE_FX.jpg

that is just crazy for a bicycle. I paid significantly less than that for my motorcycle. & I did not buy a crappy motorcycle.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2