• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

anyone have an ok mountain bike for sale or trade

ScottySkis

i like to get one that is worth maybe 400 i hVe lots of grest stuff for trade i can PM what they are.

snoseek

I have a 05ish mint rockhopper but the frame is gonna be way too big for you. I've got a pretty decked out rocky mountain slayer with a busted rear triangle.....I was gonna piece it out but would sell it real cheap....you would have to call RM or scour ebay for that rear triangle though

mlctvt

I've got three old but perfectly functioning mountain bikes that I've been thinking about listing on Craigslist.

a 1993 Trek 7000 bonded Aluminum bike with added front shock
and two 1995 Specialized A1 Comp FS they're aluminum frame with front shock . I've got 2 because one is my wife's , she's 5' 5" so that one would probably fit you. I'm 5' 9" so mine would would probably be too big for you. The Trek is too big for you too, it was my brothers and he's 5' 10".
All of these originally sold for about $800 each.

The Trek I'd let go for $150 but the Specialized are both in mint condition so I'd ask $350 each. If you're interested I could get some pictures together and check with the wife to be sure she's OK selling it. She hasn't ridden it in a long time and she did mention selling it earlier.

All of these are located in South Central CT but we are often at Mount Snow(every weekend in Winter) so we could maybe meet there too.

ScottySkis

I've got three old but perfectly functioning mountain bikes that I've been thinking about listing on Craigslist.

a 1993 Trek 7000 bonded Aluminum bike with added front shock
and two 1995 Specialized A1 Comp FS they're aluminum frame with front shock . I've got 2 because one is my wife's , she's 5' 5" so that one would probably fit you. I'm 5' 9" so mine would would probably be too big for you. The Trek is too big for you too, it was my brothers and he's 5' 10".
All of these originally sold for about $800 each.

The Trek I'd let go for $150 but the Specialized are both in mint condition so I'd ask $350 each. If you're interested I could get some pictures together and check with the wife to be sure she's OK selling it. She hasn't ridden it in a long time and she did mention selling it earlier.

All of these are located in South Central CT but we are often at Mount Snow(every weekend in Winter) so we could maybe meet there too.

If you can out up pictures that be great, if your wife is selling hers I think that be ideal because of my height. What price for her bike? I work in nyc so maybe meet their also I live about 50 minutes from Danbury CT and I also visit my sister every few weeks and she lives in the Bronx very close to Greenwich ft. Meeting at mountain snow could work but I was hoping to get the bike before ski season.

o3jeff

Scotty, go to you local bike shop(not Walmart) and look at the entry level mountain bikes. This time of year you can probably get a deal on a one since winter is around the corner. An entry level Specialized with disc brakes retails for around $480. If you look around you'll be able to probably find a $600-700 bike for under $500.

bvibert

Staff member
Scotty, go to you local bike shop(not Walmart) and look at the entry level mountain bikes. This time of year you can probably get a deal on a one since winter is around the corner. An entry level Specialized with disc brakes retails for around $480. If you look around you'll be able to probably find a $600-700 bike for under $500.

This is my advice, if you have a budget of around $400.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So what's the deal on 29'ers since they came on the scene a few years ago? Are they getting more popular now / are 26'ers fading from popularity?

Puck it

So what's the deal on 29'ers since they came on the scene a few years ago? Are they getting more popular now / are 26'ers fading from popularity?

650B baby for us right coasters!!!!!!

This is the one I am looking at.

full_2014_Pivot_Firebird_27.5.jpg

Niner's are better for out west in IMO.

o3jeff

I demo'd one last year(?) and wasn't sold on them to sell my 26 bikes and buy one. When I do decide to get a new bike I'll look more towards the 650. But then again I have ridden a bike in about 2 months now so mine should still last a few more years!

snoseek

This is the one I am looking at.

full_2014_Pivot_Firebird_27.5.jpg

Niner's are better for out west in IMO.
Sick bike. When I snapped the frame on my Slayer I went the trance 29er route. It took a couple rides to get used the steering but overall the geometry/travel is a perfect fit for what I want and the big hoops roll over the New England terrain really well. If anything I'll miss my 26 inch wheels out west, its root free out there and maybe more playful. I see a second 650 bike in my future for more DH/freeride type stuff...or ill just rebuild the slayer

bvibert

Staff member

29ers have pretty much taken over everything, though 650Bs (roughly 27.5") are gaining popularity.

Personally I demoed a 29er a couple of years ago and it didn't do anything for me. Unfortunately I don't think a 26er will be an option the next time I buy a new bike. Though one of my biggest complainants about 29ers is that you used to pay more to have one, but now 29er prices are on par with comparable 26ers.

ScottySkis

My budget is not a lot of money 150 is a struggle now but I could do a little more but not 400. I kind of hoping to get a used one for around 200 or trade because I like really good sheet and or robes that could be sold on eBay or c lists for probably 1000$ if anyone is interested.

BackLoafRiver

This.

I am not necessarily in the market for a new bike but I have been eyeing the SC Bronson. I have a problem.

I started my MTBing on a 29er and didn't care for it. The steering felt funny and awkward and tight, rooty turns felt slow and even more uncomfortable. I could never get it up to speed where I ride to truly take advantage of the wheelsize.

Back to Scotty's question, I +1 what BVibert and others have mentioned...go to the LBS and see what they have for entry level Mountain Bikes. At this time of year, you can get a steal on leftover stuff.

o3jeff

My budget is not a lot of money 150 is a struggle now but I could do a little more but not 400. I kind of hoping to get a used one for around 200 or trade because I like really good sheet and or robes that could be sold on eBay or c lists for probably 1000$ if anyone is interested.

Are they paying you with sheets and robes at work?

Cornhead

Sheets and robes? Only Scotty! Too bad you bought two Wallybikes, probably could have got one decent bike for what you spent on them. Go to a local shop and see what they've got. Just like skiing, it's good to build a relationship with a local shop, and help keep them in business.