• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowland- October 27th 2013

Huck_It_Baby

After my scouting hike yesterday ( see thread: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/125364-Snow-Report-Mt-Mansfield )I was sure it would be worth a skin up the Stowe side of Mansfield for some early season turns.

Just bought new touring boots, Dynafit Titans, and had to try them within 30 days of purchase. Def a big difference on the downhill. I felt less in control and without the normal power I can throw into a turn when on downhill boots. Nice and EZ on the hike up though. light and comfortable for hiking.

A few of the turns:

A short hike up and I was on a fairly direct skin track on Liftline. A quick bootpack up National and the Quad was in sight.
20131027_132754.jpg

The top 1/3 of the mountain was pretty solid but you really had to ski with caution. No base under the powder. I chose Nosedive since I thought it wouldn't be too steep for the amount of snow which was between 6 inches to 2 Feet. I started hitting rocks a little more than 1/2 way down and that ended my linked turns.

All in all it was a good afternoon and I'm elated that the season has officially started for me!

20131027_143444.jpg

Attachments

• 20131027_134131.jpg
    20131027_134131.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Looks great! Are those the Bacons? The snow looks significantly better than I anticipated.

Yeah Bacons. I've had them for a few seasons now and LOVE them.

The snow up top was pretty awesome. I had to ski conservatively since there was no base but it was powdery!

watkin

Also quite alot of tracks out there as well. I really wonder how many people were on Mansfield hiking for turns this past weekend.

Huck_It_Baby

Also quite alot of tracks out there as well. I really wonder how many people were on Mansfield hiking for turns this past weekend.

Yeah lots! I certainly didn't get first tracks although I probably could have skied another trail which saw less traffic.

Huck_It_Baby

What is the policy at Stowe on earning turns, preseason? Anything?

I don't think anyone cares when it's preseason. People were hiking and skiing/riding all over the mountain.

I like it before the resort opens up. It's a free for all and nice and quiet up there.

Last edited:

Cornhead

20131027_143444.jpg
Sweet panoramic shot. Mansfield/Spruce Peak is one beautiful area. Way to get after it.

WWF-VT

Nice report from Stowe. Looks like better snow and more vertical to ski than the open ski areas in New England this weekend.