• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts CEO on Why More People Aren't Skiing More

drjeff

He answered that but cant remember exactly. But I do recall that he said 50% of skiers have a seasons pass. I was shocked by that. But at $129 per day its understandable.

I'm sure by "season pass", he was referring to their Epic Pass, which they have in 5 and 7 day options as well as the full season pass. By those accounts, I had a "season pass" to VR last year with the 7 day Epic pass that I had for my families trip to Vail last March. And BTW, there was a great amount of value and some really cool extra feat such as direct linking of the photos they took of you, or anyone else (my wife and kids) who were linked to my pass directly to my smartphone, essentially real time race results for my whole crew linked to my phone, vertical feet totals, actual times you boarded lifts, etc, etc, etc.

I never saw more than a few folks at the actual ticket window, nor did they actually have a standard Eastern big resort ticket window (read as a BUNCH of selling stations) at either Vail or Beavercreek. The ticket selling windows I noticed didn't have more than 4 or 5 windows at each one, and most weren't even being used.

dlague

I agree but I would love to know how many people are buying day tickets at full price in the East. With minimal research you can find any number of discounts.

Technically you are spot on! I find that mountains like Stowe, Killington, Loon, WV, Sunday River and Sugarloaf are the hardest to find! They have their target markets that are fans or people visit just say they have been there! Most other resorts if you look around you can find something! You just might not be able dictate the day so we plan around the deals.

I do wish we had an Epic Pass or Mountain Collection Pass!

jimk

Didn't watch the video, but I have mixed feelings about the EpicPass. It's obviously a good deal for the individual living near the resorts or others including Easterners that get out west for two weeks and want to try a variety of resorts. Same for the Rocky Mtn Super Pass. But it is a bit scary what threat these products might pose to the viability of smaller resorts. An interesting spin-off that might eventually reach all of us is the trend of independents and smaller resorts teaming together to offer competing multi-area passes such as the Mtn Collective, Powder Alliance, the Monarch pass, and numerous other ski areas adding Monarch-type reciprocity to their season passes allowing at least a few free days at other resorts.
What are the implications of the push towards relatively cheap season passes, but expensive single day tickets? Not sure. Can the teaming of independents and smaller mtns successfully compete and remain viable? And while seemingly advantageous for avid skiers and the big resorts that would make money off them through lodging and dining, I'd be concerned this might be another barrier for newbies entering the sport who don't want to make that level of financial commitment. Also, what kind of impact on the industry if Vail Resorts happens to go bust like ASC?
And just to negate all my previous comments, I'm not advocating for higher ticket prices:grin:

Domeskier

I didn't mean to come off so harsh. Just letting you know he was talking Waterville not West Virginia.

No worries. Such is the plight of the forum newbie whose readers don't have the benefit of a substantial body of posts to get where he's coming from.

skiNEwhere

Bump.

I've wondered why VR doesn't buy a NE resort.

But I do think that they make a lot more money off of season passes and walk up rate lift tickets than people assume. I don't think those sales act as a "loss leader"

Could it be that they don't want to buy a NE resort because they are afraid they'd lose money because skiers would travel west and not pay for the "full ski experience" (hotels, restaurants, etc)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Could it be that they don't want to buy a NE resort because they are afraid they'd lose money because skiers would travel west and not pay for the "full ski experience" (hotels, restaurants, etc)

Explain your logic cause this doesn't make any sense. Having western resorts on a pass would make people go out West and spend money on Vail-owned hotels, restaurants, and shops.

skiNEwhere

Explain your logic cause this doesn't make any sense. Having western resorts on a pass would make people go out West and spend money on Vail-owned hotels, restaurants, and shops.

My logic is .....why don't they own any NE resorts???

skiNEwhere

Whoops, my sarcasm detectors were off.

I need to work on my internet sarcasm :)

I will say though, if I had an epic pass and still lived in New England, I'd ski out west all day and stay at a motel 6 so they wouldn't make much off of me.....but I know I'm in the minority

skiNEwhere

If VR were to try and get their foot in the NE, I'd venture to guess they'd go after wachusett since that's where a lot of the boston market ski's.

wa-loaf

If VR were to try and get their foot in the NE, I'd venture to guess they'd go after wachusett since that's where a lot of the boston market ski's.

I don't see the current owners ever selling. That place is a cash cow. But I would love it if my WA pass was good in CO, UT, and Tahoe. That might make up for losing the $35 Alta tickets ...

skiNEwhere

I don't see the current owners ever selling. That place is a cash cow. But I would love it if my WA pass was good in CO, UT, and Tahoe. That might make up for losing the $35 Alta tickets ...

I don't know how much the current owners make yearly, but I'm sure VR could and would easily offer at least 10 times that if they felt this would act as a gateway to their western resorts, complete with fine dining and hotels.

If I were a stock holder, these are the types of questions I would be asking, and I'm sure the CEO has been exploring a ski area to buy in the north east. WaWa seems like a good candidate, but if they refused to be bought out, I'm not sure who else they'd go after.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I don't know how much the current owners make yearly, but I'm sure VR could and would easily offer at least 10 times that if they felt this would act as a gateway to their western resorts, complete with fine dining and hotels.

If I were a stock holder, these are the types of questions I would be asking, and I'm sure the CEO has been exploring a ski area to buy in the north east. WaWa seems like a good candidate, but if they refused to be bought out, I'm not sure who else they'd go after.

Waterville. It has strong history, convenience to the Boston market, and a recent turbulent run of ownership.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
And they have a village, which fits the Vail model.

If you can get an Epic Pass good for unlimited Waterville and restricted western resorts for say $499, that would be very appealing.

skiNEwhere

The only thing WVV has against it is location.

The two feeder hills on the epic pass are afton alps and mt. Brighton, which are both under 45 minutes away from Minneapolis and Detroit, respectively. WVV is 2 hours from Boston.

I'm sure there is some behind the scenes research that has figured out how far the "typical" (ie skiers not posting on a ski forum in September :) ) skier travels for a day trip, and WVV may just be out of reach. I'd imagine the furthest a typical boston day tripper is willing to travel would be to a place like pats peak, which is about an hour 15 minutes away.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
The only thing WVV has against it is location.

The two feeder hills on the epic pass are afton alps and mt. Brighton, which are both under 45 minutes away from Minneapolis and Detroit, respectively. WVV is 2 hours from Boston.

I'm sure there is some behind the scenes research that has figured out how far the "typical" (ie skiers not posting on a ski forum in September :) ) skier travels for a day trip, and WVV may just be out of reach. I'd imagine the furthest a typical boston day tripper is willing to travel would be to a place like pats peak, which is about an hour 15 minutes away.

I dunno. Take a look at the plates at Waterville and Loon. Far more out of state than in state.

VTKilarney

We should also keep in mind that the hills in the mid-west are much smaller. This enters into the equation of how far people are willing to travel to get to them.