• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

jack97

I have no dog in this as well. In one way I hope this fails big, I really hate this trend that the ski/board industry is trying and have attracted the rich into this activity.

A couple things to consider... making a place uber exclusive is a stronger selling point where it becomes a status symbol. IMO, HC is well on it way to doing that. The other, time is money. I believe, travel time to the west is still 3-4 hours even in a private jet. If they can spend half the time going to their exclusive playground with friends and family then why not.

Last edited:

AdironRider

I have no dog in this as well. In one way I hope this fails big, I really hate this trend that the ski/board industry is trying and have attracted the rich into this activity.

A couple things to consider... making a place uber exclusive is a stronger selling point where it becomes a status symbol. IMO, HC is well on it way to doing that. The other, time is money. I believe, travel time to the west is still 3-4 hours even in a private jet. If they can spend half the time going to their exclusive playground with friends and family then why not.

Lets be real here, skiing is never going to be a sport for the masses. Between gear, gas, lift tickets, ETC even the best deal finder out there is still rocking a middle class income to really get after it. Especially families. Skiing will never ever be a sport like basketball where anyone with a pair of sneakers can go to the park and play a pick up game.

mister moose

The NetJets guy also has a 5 or so million condo at the Seasons slopeside in Jackson. Doubt this is a primary usage type thing here. Also, you seem to think that these rich guys are going to be flying themselves. Please. In your breakdown earlier, its more like driven to airport in Maybach by Jeeves, drink 2 bottle of Dom with friends on my 30 minute flight to SVT, Jeeves drives us to slopeside digs, ...profit. This drive yourself and scrape of the car thing is pure bullshit for the clientel you think will do it.

Just like skiers come in all flavors, so do aircraft owners. There are many, many, many aircraft owners that fly themselves. For them, there is no Jeeves.

In it's current form, Jeeves doesn't fly to MT Snow airport, and he doesn't pick you up. At it's fanciest you have the 4 year old Benz SUV in the T-hangar waiting for you. Pull it out, hook up the winch, pull the plane into the T-hangar and drive to your ski house. Maybe the Hermatage sends a car out for you instead, but you still have to put the airplane away yourself. There is no way you would ever let a shuttle driver operate your multimillion dollar airplane, that you trust your life in on the trip home. Or even the tow vehicle.

It's a function of the limitations of the runway, approach, and the kind of owners that own those airplanes capable of getting there. (ie a 2600' runway)

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about, you're just going on armchair stereotypes. You are used to cars, which all go equally well to the same place. Not so with airplanes. Airplanes need airports, and airports vary tremendously in capability and the aircraft that can use them.

Jeeves will hardly ever go to SVT, it's in Botswana. (yes, I know you mean Southern VT) 4V8 is in Dover VT, and Jeeves doesn't fly there either. Jeeves flies to Nantucket, the Vineyard, Palm Beach, places like that. Some you wouldn't guess, like Ocala where many race horse farms are. But trust me, the Ocala boys aren't going to West Dover in any significant number.

Last edited:

darent

Just like skiers come in all flavors, so do aircraft owners. There are many, many, many aircraft owners that fly themselves. For them, there is no Jeeves.

In it's current form, Jeeves doesn't fly to MT Snow airport, and he doesn't pick you up. At it's fanciest you have the 4 year old Benz SUV in the T-hangar waiting for you. Pull it out, hook up the winch, pull the plane into the T-hangar and drive to your ski house. Maybe the Hermatage sends a car out for you instead, but you still have to put the airplane away yourself. There is no way you would ever let a shuttle driver operate your multimillion dollar airplane, that you trust your life in on the trip home. Or even the tow vehicle.

It's a function of the limitations of the runway, approach, and the kind of owners that own those airplanes capable of getting there. (ie a 2600' runway)

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about, you're just going on armchair stereotypes. You are used to cars, which all go equally well to the same place. Not so with airplanes. Airplanes need airports, and airports vary tremendously in capability and the aircraft that can use them.

Jeeves will hardly ever go to SVT, it's in Botswana. (yes, I know you mean Southern VT) 4V8 is in Dover VT, and Jeeves doesn't fly there either. Jeeves flies to Nantucket, the Vineyard, Palm Beach, places like that. Some you wouldn't guess, like Ocala where many race horse farms are. But trust me, the Ocala boys aren't going to West Dover in any significant number.

tell jeeves to stay out of Nantucket, His jet fuel pollutes our environment!!

mister moose

tell jeeves to stay out of Nantucket, His jet fuel pollutes our environment!!

LOL. I used to fly you guys on a daily basis to the mainland, which was also Jet A. And if you don't fly, you take the ferry which burns diesel. (FYI, Jet A is highly refined kerosene.) And geez, how many cars are there on Nantucket which is like all of 7 miles to anywhere? Everyone contributes. Some more than others though.

And now that I think about it, it's a rare day when the jet exhaust doesn't blow downwind off the island. The end of Rwy 6 is the ocean, right?

Hawkshot99

I talked to a lady today from the club at the Albany ski show. She said they have sold every house property as wwell as all of the condos. They have decided to add 4 more condo buildings.
They said the mtn is 100% new fan guns snowmaking.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

bobbutts

Settle down.

darent

LOL. I used to fly you guys on a daily basis to the mainland, which was also Jet A. And if you don't fly, you take the ferry which burns diesel. (FYI, Jet A is highly refined kerosene.) And geez, how many cars are there on Nantucket which is like all of 7 miles to anywhere? Everyone contributes. Some more than others though.

And now that I think about it, it's a rare day when the jet exhaust doesn't blow downwind off the island. The end of Rwy 6 is the ocean, right?

you should live near the airport, and on wet days see the shimmer of unburned jet fuel all over the leaves and grasses. you can smell it and taste it. I don't remember that when it was just the none turbine aircraft.prevailing wind in the summer is SW which blows everything over the island. end of 6 is the ocean, don't you take off into the wind, thus you take off toward the ocean.every thing contributes , but can't we cut some of it down

canobie#1

The only good spot at haystack is the witches, but it's never open..kinda like south ridge at killlington or kidderbrook at stratton.

mister moose

you should live near the airport, and on wet days see the shimmer of unburned jet fuel all over the leaves and grasses. you can smell it and taste it. I don't remember that when it was just the none turbine aircraft.prevailing wind in the summer is SW which blows everything over the island. end of 6 is the ocean, don't you take off into the wind, thus you take off toward the ocean.every thing contributes , but can't we cut some of it down

Yes, you do take off and land into the wind. I never kept track, but it seemed like we used 6 far more often. If the wind is light it doesn't matter, and 6 has the ILS precision approach so it's the default active runway. The standard SW breeze builds in the afternoon, so morning flights are less affected. Also, any time the wind is between 330 and 150 6 is used. Cold front passage NW breezes can be in that sector. On takeoff if the winds are light 6 points you towards Hyannis and Boston. Although coming from Hyannis on a clear day 24 is a shorter approach, but landings are low power high glide conditions.

Rotting vegetation produces a natural oil sheen in damp places and it looks just like oil. You're either seeing this, or you're seeing something I was not aware of; unburnt fuel residue. The usual residue is soot.

jack97

Lets be real here, skiing is never going to be a sport for the masses. Between gear, gas, lift tickets, ETC even the best deal finder out there is still rocking a middle class income to really get after it. Especially families. Skiing will never ever be a sport like basketball where anyone with a pair of sneakers can go to the park and play a pick up game.

Here's a quote from their web site:

The Hermitage Club is the ideal atmosphere for families and friends to share and enjoy the beauty of the four seasons in Vermont. Ski corduroy all day long. Tee off when you like. Hike and mountain bike in peace. All on your private mountain.

Technology in ski design and grooming has made transform this sport into an oppressive era of overgrooming. As Glen Plake said, is you want to carve go buy a carving ski, imo ski vendors lay out big bucks to try to figure out how to get people to buy new ski every year. And ski areas overgroom to attract intermediates who have the time and money.

In general, the sport has turn into a heavy skill base activity like golf. Where gear is perceived to be just as important on how skilled you are. Still can't figure why rockers and fatties are needed in NE. Let alone why a mogul ski retails over $1K. If you have the money, the industry has done a good job of making you feel the latest gear is the best thing to ski the corduroy.

Last edited:

Quietman

If you have the money, the industry has done a good job of making you feel the latest gear is the best thing to ski the corduroy.

My father subscribed to this theory, and as a result, I now ski on 4 pairs of his castoffs from his upgrades to the "latest and greatest".

AdironRider

I have my private pilots license. First job was working at Hampton Airfield and they paid me in flight time/school. Awesome gig if there are any seacoast NH guys with teenage sons. To this day the best job I ever had, now if only I could pay for Avgas these days. - Im with you though, there are plenty of guys who like to fly themselves, and like skiing its not exactly a sport for the masses. Where did I argue about runway length? You've clearly worked yourself into a tizzy over nothing here. But your full of shit if you think the average guy with a private jet is flying himself, those are guys like me and you in Cessna 172's and old Piper Cubs. Its maybe 10% of the flights here in Jackson. You are equating guys like me and you as the norm, we're not.

mister moose

... - Im with you though, there are plenty of guys who like to fly themselves, and like skiing its not exactly a sport for the masses. Where did I argue about runway length? You've clearly worked yourself into a tizzy over nothing here. But your full of shit if you think the average guy with a private jet is flying himself, those are guys like me and you in Cessna 172's and old Piper Cubs. Its maybe 10% of the flights here in Jackson. You are equating guys like me and you as the norm, we're not.

I'm not 'in a tizzy', I just like to explain to folks what aviation is really like, not what the media and Hollywood portrays it as. Usually it's explaining how safe it is, or how effective a business tool it is, but here it's what the owner cross section is like. And yes, there are many guys who fly their own jets. Some with a crew, some alone in the light small jets that are certified single pilot. The whole class of single pilot jets are built specifically for the owner-pilot. And there's a lot between a 172 and a G5, Morgan Freeman flies a Ce421 for example. Chris Reeves flew a 58 Baron. I know a clothing retailer that flies an Aerostar. A CFO that flies an MU-2. Arnold Palmer flew his own Citations and Lears. But most are businessmen who's name isn't famous.

I'm just expressing my opinion of who is going to be attracted to buy a home at Hermitage Club. My previous point was that A) Jets aren't going to Mt Snow, B) most aircraft that will land there are owner flown, C) Mentioning jets and Hermitage Club in the same sentence is pure marketing sizzle bs, and [new comment] D) Even promising there will be corduroy all day long is pure sizzle as all it takes is 30-50 skier runs on a trail to eat up all the corduroy. Not skied off, sure.

As for the average private jet not being owner flown, you're right. And the bigger the jet the more it is true. Most owners never gain the experience and training necessary, or have no desire to do so. Some that do have the ability still hire crew because they don't want the limitations and demands that being the PIC brings with it. Some hop out of the crew flown corporate jet on Friday afternoon and get into their personal piston twin and fly to their weekend home.

And while I have flown a 172, my depth of experience goes a wee bit further.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wouldn't a HSS be total overkill for an area that doesn't and probably never will have lift lines?