• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

deadheadskier

Staff member
You can reply and I can't? Loose the attitude, we aren't "arguing".

The discussion was about what might draw someone to one or the other. This is a discussion isn't it?

Did I say you can't reply? Attitude? :lol:

I was never trying to discuss what others would do with that kind of disposable income. You starting interjecting the benefits of Hermitage Club against what I said would be my preference. You don't need to sell me on what others might find more appealing with Hermitage vs. Stowe Alpine Club. I did say "to each their own, but this is what I would do." There will be people like myself or marcski where the terrain is the most compelling factor. There are people like me who prefer a place that's more lively year round with the better dining and entertainment that Stowe has over Wilmington. And there will be people who like the laid back completely private Hermitage. It's all good. I don't really care where other people like to ski or vacation; whether they're a low budget everyday Joe like myself or Donald Trump.

skiNEwhere

IDK about you guys but if I were like warren buffet rich, you'd find me at the Yellowstone club....

Newpylong

Did I say you can't reply? Attitude? :lol:

I was never trying to discuss what others would do with that kind of disposable income. You starting interjecting the benefits of Hermitage Club against what I said would be my preference. You don't need to sell me on what others might find more appealing with Hermitage vs. Stowe Alpine Club. I did say "to each their own, but this is what I would do." There will be people like myself or marcski where the terrain is the most compelling factor. There are people like me who prefer a place that's more lively year round with the better dining and entertainment that Stowe has over Wilmington. And there will be people who like the laid back completely private Hermitage. It's all good. I don't really care where other people like to ski or vacation; whether they're a low budget everyday Joe like myself or Donald Trump.

Fair enough ! :snow:

slatham

Warrant Buffet rich? I'd buy Magic for weekends (and buy the necessary upgrades) and Revelstoke for holiday's. I'm a generous and social kinda guy, and I like the type of skier that frequents these areas, so they would still be open to the public, but I'd get the first hour or so solo.......

Madroch

Hmm... Magic Mountain would make one hell of a private ski area...

For the majority of us on this board yes, not sure how the less fanatic more casual skier would enjoy it- unless you blew snow everwhere and buried the place- and groomed a lot more than is groomed now. And if you did, most on this board would complain and not join.

There is a reason the masses flock to okemo, Stratton etc- while I have no data to support that a majority of casual skiers prefer good cord to bumps, reeds, stumps and ledges... But I bet they do...

skiNEwhere

bobbutts

For the majority of us on this board yes, not sure how the less fanatic more casual skier would enjoy it- unless you blew snow everwhere and buried the place- and groomed a lot more than is groomed now. And if you did, most on this board would complain and not join.

There is a reason the masses flock to okemo, Stratton etc- while I have no data to support that a majority of casual skiers prefer good cord to bumps, reeds, stumps and ledges... But I bet they do...
Some reasons:
Those places also have lodging, so people aren't limited to a day trip.

Lack of natural snow. Steep natural trails are often not open until mid-season, but skier visits are really high early season, especially Christmas week. Places like Okemo are able to offer up similar conditions on their groomed runs regardless of natural snow.

Parks. Not everyone is old school like most of the people here. Clearly some people are choosing places to lap the terrain park. Stratton, Okemo, Loon, etc.

Bumps. All these places have at least some seeded and also natural bumps.

Roller coasters, ziplines, etc. Extra bang for the vacation.

midd

Hermitage Club signs all over the big belly solar powered trash compactors around the Financial District/South station.

Few variations, below aren't verbatim l.
"Skiing in 45 minutes?" With some folks hopping off a private jet

"Powder all day?"

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
We'll see. VT needs the investment. The state will act tough, but in the end I suspect it won't matter too much to the developer's wallet and long term plans.

This is a common case of a development company practicing, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

drjeff

Part of the violations cited, the turning a snowmaking pond into a recreational use pond is pretty BS IMHO - they literally just cleaned up the bank of their snowmaking pond next to their main entry house so they could put in a floating, removable dock so that members can launch a stand up paddle board or a kayak

The wind turbine (I guess that Jim Barnes, the owner of the Hermitage Club is a principle investor in a wind turbine company), if it's actually been built, is very, very small, since you can't see it from less than a mile away. Starting to build a few things before getting permits, well, that wouldn't be the 1st time they've done that. And the reality is the fines they'd face probably are less than the cost of the current initiation fee, 65k.

Sounds a bunch like Vermont once again trying to stifle business, at a time, and in a general location, SW VT where they need all the new business investment that they can get

Smellytele

Sounds more like a rich person doing what he wants when he wants and knowing that the state will just fold like a cheap suitcase ust like they have done before. erosion near ponds can be an issue with "oh we are just clearing a little by a pond for a rec area." They knew the rules but decided to do what they wanted.