• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

Edd

Wouldn't a HSS be total overkill for an area that doesn't and probably never will have lift lines?

The only justification I can see is to enhance the pampered experience that might come with a private ski area. Although some would argue a gondola would do that better, I'd personally prefer a bubble chair.

woofydoggie

Soon enough, there's going to be a gondola from the airport to the lodge.........

skiNEwhere

Looks like they are following the "go big or go home" philosophy. I'll be amazed if there is ever 6 people on one chair, yet alone an actual wait in the queue.

I'm guessing they are trying to generate PR to stimulate sales. If so, I'd say it's working, at least the first part

drjeff

Looks like they are following the "go big or go home" philosophy. I'll be amazed if there is ever 6 people on one chair, yet alone an actual wait in the queue.

I'm guessing they are trying to generate PR to stimulate sales. If so, I'd say it's working, at least the first part

My hunch is in the big scheme of things a bubble six pack isn't that much more $$ than a bubble quad, BUT the six pack weighs a bunch more than a quad which will allow operations on all but the windiest days that show up in VT in the winter.

In no way is it about capacity in this case! Although I will admit to knowing a few member families who need more than a quad to allow them to ride together ;-)

skiNEwhere

My hunch is in the big scheme of things a bubble six pack isn't that much more $$ than a bubble quad, BUT the six pack weighs a bunch more than a quad which will allow operations on all but the windiest days that show up in VT in the winter.

In no way is it about capacity in this case! Although I will admit to knowing a few member families who need more than a quad to allow them to ride together ;-)

IDK....beefier towers, longer cross arms, bigger sheaves, thicker haul rope, not to mention stronger engine. All in all just beefier everything. I bet it adds up.

Not sure of a recent 4 pack bubble that the price can be compared to

Newpylong

They don't need it, the same as they didn't need the two new Quads (capacity wise) - but it comes down to convenience for the guests. If they are paying top dollar, why not put the whole family on the same chair? They aren't short of cash.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe I'm wrong, but such senseless expenditures could bring the place down.

As much as crowd free slopes and no lift lines would be appealing, if I were uber rich, I'd be joining the the Stowe Mountain Club over Hermitage.

For essentially the same money at Stowe you get 2 adult ski season passes, unlimited access to their two golf courses with free cart rental, unlimited access to their Spa, free valet parking at the private slopeside Alpine Club with locker rooms and private restaurant. All of that at a much more compelling 4 season destination with far more off hill activities to enjoy.

Glenn

As much as crowd free slopes and no lift lines would be appealing, if I were uber rich, I'd be joining the the Stowe Mountain Club over Hermitage.

For essentially the same money at Stowe you get 2 adult ski season passes, unlimited access to their two golf courses with free cart rental, unlimited access to their Spa, free valet parking at the private slopeside Alpine Club with locker rooms and private restaurant. All of that at a much more compelling 4 season destination with far more off hill activities to enjoy.

I imagine part of what they're going for is proximity to NY/NJ and possibly Boston. While it is a good chunk of change to join, it's certainly not "I have my own private jet" kind of money.

Newpylong

And for 130 less miles and 2 less hours they can get a completely empty mountain and the exact same things you mentioned.

"4 season destination" is subjective. Plenty to do around Wilmington, it is an awesome town.

deadheadskier

Staff member
From NYC and CT sure its much more convenient. Boston the difference is not as great. To each their own, but I'd rather share my skiing experience withe the masses at a mountain like Stowe than have a private experience at a little place like haystack that gets half the snow. And I've been to Wilmington. Great town but not in the same league as Stowe for abundance of things to do.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
And for 130 less miles and 2 less hours they can get a completely empty mountain and the exact same things you mentioned.

"4 season destination" is subjective. Plenty to do around Wilmington, it is an awesome town.

Perhaps, but, you definitely won't be skiing steep, challenging, advanced terrain at the Hermitage club, ever, no matter how much money they pour into the place.

drjeff

Perhaps, but, you definitely won't be skiing steep, challenging, advanced terrain at the Hermitage club, ever, no matter how much money they pour into the place.

You're making the assumption that their target audience IS looking for steep, challenging advanced terrain though.

I can honestly say that I now know quite a few Hermitage members. And their skiing abilities range from former elite level racer to nationally ranked masters tele skier to spouses and kids who find most beginner trails a challenege.

The thing though that the majority of members that I know have in common for why they joined, is it's the whole 4 season club experience that the Hermitage is offering, and really starting to deliver. It's more about sitting around with friends and family after a day on the hill or a day on the links or a day on the various hiking/snowmobiling trails or bodies of water near by and enjoying everyone's company in a NICE location than it necessarily is about what type of terrain one may have skied earlier in the day.

For the 1st time this past weekend, after talking with some friends, who are Hermitage members, while we were all at the Mount Snow Brewer's Festival, my wife said too me "I'm really starting to think that we're eventually going to end up kicking ourselves for not getting into the Hermitage Club at it's initial price offering a few years ago, and NOT for the skiing, but for the people involved with it"

Unless you've seen the whole package they're offering firsthand, it's really kind of tough to grasp what it's all about

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
You're making the assumption that their target audience IS looking for steep, challenging advanced terrain though.

I can honestly say that I now know quite a few Hermitage members. And their skiing abilities range from former elite level racer to nationally ranked masters tele skier to spouses and kids who find most beginner trails a challenge.

The thing though that the majority of members that I know have in common for why they joined, is it's the whole 4 season club experience that the Hermitage is offering, and really starting to deliver. It's more about sitting around with friends and family after a day on the hill or a day on the links or a day on the various hiking/snowmobiling trails or bodies of water near by and enjoying everyone's company in a NICE location than it necessarily is about what type of terrain one may have skied earlier in the day.

For the 1st time this past weekend, after talking with some friends, who are Hermitage members, while we were all at the Mount Snow Brewer's Festival, my wife said too me "I'm really starting to think that we're eventually going to end up kicking ourselves for not getting into the Hermitage Club at it's initial price offering a few years ago, and NOT for the skiing, but for the people involved with it"

Unless you've seen the whole package they're offering firsthand, it's really kind of tough to grasp what it's all about

I didn't make any assumption. I just stated a fact. Obviously, I am not their target audience because, personally, I am looking for skiing first and above all else.

Edd

I can honestly say that I now know quite a few Hermitage members. And their skiing abilities range from former elite level racer to nationally ranked masters tele skier to spouses and kids who find most beginner trails a challenege.

For the 1st time this past weekend, after talking with somet the door. friends, who are Hermitage members, while we were all at the Mount Snow Brewer's Festival, my wife said too me "I'm really starting to think that we're eventually going to end up kicking ourselves for not getting into the Hermitage Club at it's initial price offering a few years ago, and NOT for the skiing, but for the people involved with it"

Unfortunately, I'm not in the income bracket for that place but I feel you there. I could dig having a nice, uncrowded mountain to hang out at with top notch service. Maybe someday I'll manage to take a peek at the place.

In their brochure, they should post a pic of Loon's main lodge on a Saturday right next to a pic of their lodge on the same day. Memberships would fly out the door.

deadheadskier

Staff member

And Stowe offers the exact same thing at their Alpine Club for essentially the same money. The only difference is you have to share the mountain.

bobbutts

I think a high speed summit lift makes sense, the current ride according to the article is 15 minutes, which is simply too long for a premium resort. I'd guess that in the future they'll wish they had the cash instead of the extra 2 seats and the bubbles and the associated other stuff with the upgraded lift. Who knows though, the bubble could be considered a marketing expense and I don't really know how much cost all that stuff adds.

skiNEwhere

And Stowe offers the exact same thing at their Alpine Club for essentially the same money. The only difference is you have to share the mountain.

Well, sort of. You can still ski Stowe without an alpine club membership though. You can't ski HC without a membership, and that's where they are trying to pull members in. I've never skied Haystack, so I'm not sure what I'm missing.

As far as the 4 vs 6 pack, maybe the cost will be the same? I think it was said in one of the articles that there would only be 88 chairs. If they have longer chair spacing which causes the same amount of weight to be on the haulrope at any given time, then in THEORY the only difference between the two types of lifts would be the crossarms attached to the towers,