• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage club

thetrailboss

Staff member
Saw a picture on the NELSAP board of the components of their new chairlift that they are working on right now.

dmw

Yeah, saw that; a pretty high profile spot to debut.

drjeff

Yeah, saw that; a pretty high profile spot to debut.

I now know why one of my friends, who's part of the marketing department at the Hermitage Club was asking a bunch of FB friends if we were all watching the series tonight ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

I don't need a private ski hill, Plattekill is a day trip.:D

Sent on my new, 2 year old, DROID X2 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

I think you meant well off. If I were rich, I would have a place in Jackson Hole.

If uber rich, I would own the damn mountain.

I'd say its more like the very rich, not über rich ;)

I mean the members will actually have to share a base lodge with other members! Although they will have their own private lockers and the base lodge will have a bowling alley and lap pool in it :)

Plus it will actually be about a 5 mile drive from the newly refurbished and expanded to accommodate small to medium private jets, Mount Snow airstrip and heliport. If it was an über rich scenario, then they'd have enough cash to build a runway at the base of the mountain! :lol:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt

So, not that I am joining any time soon, but it says the family membership comes with 1 alpine ski pass? that doesn't make sense.

Also, it's only open Friday to Sunday, plus holiday weeks, which I guess makes a certain kind of sense, but seems a little lame at the same time. For that kind of money, wouldn't you want to be able to ski literally when ever you want?

Has anyone ever skied there?

drjeff

So, not that I am joining any time soon, but it says the family membership comes with 1 alpine ski pass? that doesn't make sense.

Also, it's only open Friday to Sunday, plus holiday weeks, which I guess makes a certain kind of sense, but seems a little lame at the same time. For that kind of money, wouldn't you want to be able to ski literally when ever you want?

Has anyone ever skied there?

Think smaller Okemo-esque feeling terrain with a bit of a flat section in the middle. The set up of the mountain is there's basically a mid-mountain "false summit" type topography where one of the main base lifts heads too, then there's 2 other "summits" , one off the the left as you look up from the mid mountain false summit, that's what they call the Witches and is a 4 or 5 trail expert pod with about 6-700 feet of verts, and then as you look up from the base past the false summit area is the true summit, which adds on another 400 or so verts from the false summit.

Lastly, a transfer lift ride away from the base area is the "lower mountain" pod of terrain which is maybe 400 feet of verts, and is actually a very nice beginner/lower intermediate pod of terrain. The mountain basically skis as a bunch of small to moderate vert pods as opposed to continuous base to summit fallline verts.

I haven't taken the "tour" yet and skied it since its old days as "Haystack", but I do know a couple of members and folks that toured it last year, and they were impressed with the conditions, and the vision and enthusiasm that the owner and staff has for it.

They're trying to get a race program and park program going for members children, and have been hiring some good name talent and I don't doubt that they will get a decent program going soon. The Hermitage Club has also for the 1st time this year become a part of the Vermont Alpine Racing Association (VARA) which "governs" youth USSA sanctioned events in Vermont

The other thing too you have to remember, and is part of what they're selling, is its not just the skiing. They have an extensive amount of snowmobile terrain that is linked into the VT statewide VAST trail network. They also offer for snowmobilers, once the lifts stop spinning they open up the ski trails to the sledders for a few hours. They have a fair amount of cross country skiing and snowshoeing trails, ice skating, a lit tubing hill and a very good restaurant and pub. In addition they have the adjacent Hermitage Golf Club which is a very solid test of mountain golf and a bunch of other outdoor non snow season activities.

As of now at least, with the exception of the skiing and on trail snowmobiling which is limited just to members and their guests, the other activities are on a "semi private" set up, where for a fee, non members can cross country ski, skate, tube, dine in the restaurant and pub and play golf (members have preferred access and advanced booking abilities). And frankly from being a regular in the Mount Snow Valley, I doubt that too much of that set up will change, simply because there's only a small pool of potential customers in the area in reality about 300-320 days a year, and even on the "large pool" days there's still not a mega amount, and as such they will likely need some outside revenue for daily operations and staffing levels to allow for the private side of things to function as they desire without pricing the Hermitage club out of the realm of reason for the number of members that they need to function with, since ultimately they hope that some members, or in reality a bunch of members, will buy real estate on the club grounds

Last edited:

madvibes

Keep an eye out in games 6 and 7 (if needed) in the Fox 25 Boston area.