• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$8.00 a gallon for Milk

Rambo

Saw on the news this morning that subsidies for milk producers have not been renewed, and that the price of milk could skyrocket to $8.00 per gallon at the end of the year. OUCH!!

Puck it

Can we switch to an alternative milk source?

Should we invade the milk producing states?

Can we go green?

Tin

Have heard this the past three years. It won't happen. I love milk but there are other sources of calcium.

skijay

That's about what I pay now for UHT (shelf life) 8oz milk boxes. I got frustrated buying milk even by the quart only to have it opened and only a few ounces used for cereal and then trown out. I started buying the juice box style milk boxes at Whole Foods. I get them on sale for about $8.00 and its a little more than a gallon of milk.

snoseek

I get emails damn near everyday from food purveyors about market speculation. A good part of it is created by the industry hype machine. I'm hoping this is one of them as I drink a metric fukton of milk

Edd

I like milk but I've often pondered how strange it is that we drink milk from another species. I over think sometimes.

JDMRoma

I get emails damn near everyday from food purveyors about market speculation. A good part of it is created by the industry hype machine. I'm hoping this is one of them as I drink a metric fukton of milk

Certainly hope its not true…..in in the same category…….cereal every day for breakfast…..if it does Hello almond milk ! Its not so bad !

drjeff

Tons of folks would be STUNNED if they knew what food really costs without any government programs!!

For some items we'd be paying a bunch more :eek: and others much less :)

Remember these days with the record number of people receiveng food stamps, the folks that aren't often end up paying MORE for their own food to subsidize the food purchases of those who receive and use "free" (to them) food stamps!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

ctenidae

Considering these stats come from a group that is working to end a lot of farm subsidies, these numbers may be exaggerated, but even if they are, it's not that high:
http://farm.ewg.org/progdetail.php?fips=00000&progcode=dairy

$5B provided for dairy subsidies since 1995 doesn't seem like all that much. Also seems like a pretty stupid political football for the GOP to pick up. Of course, they haven't done a great job of picking their battles lately...

o3jeff

I don't drink a lot of it other than for my cereal, would probably just switch to almond milk.

Has anyone else heard that soy milk causes moobs on guys?

Last edited:

skijay

I don't drink a lot of it other than for my cereal, would probably just switch to almond milk.

Has anyone else heard that soy milk causes moobs on guys?

I heard that a few years ago and switched back to dairy.

When I'm at Whole Foods there are many non-dairy "milk" choices such as rice, almond, soy and hemp. These all come close or go over $8 a gallon!