• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

East Osceola & Osceola Summit 01-04-07

montvm

Date(s) Hiked:01-04-07

Trails(s) Hiked:Greely Ponds Trail and Osceola Trail

Total Distance: 7.6 Miles, 3100/ft of elevation gain

Difficulty:Greely Pond Trail=Easy, Osceola Trail, Steep and Strenous, Crossing the slide wasn't too bad, the Chimney detour was very Sketchy but manageable.

Conditions:4-6 inchs of crusty snow, packed down...

Special Required Equipment:Crampons, Ice axe if going up Chimney

Trip Report: We started off at 7:30am, approx 28 degrees. Greely Pond trail was very easy, and took 1/2 hour to get to the trail Junction of Greely Ponds trail and Osceola Trail. Osceola Trail started off moderate, and before hitting the cliffs of Osceola's North Spur. At, this point Matt and I stopped to put on our crampons. From the Trail Junction to the summit of East Peak it took us 4 hours. Both of us are in ok shape, but not great shape. Once we got to the slide, we had some incredible views. The slide was really cool to cross. I personally found the upper Osceola Trail, after the slide extremely steep. Once we crested the ridge, there is an out look to the left into the notch where you get a great view of Washington, upper Osceola, and endless views of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. As we approached the top of the ridge we could hear the wind howl. It was un-believable windy on this side of the ridge and all along the ridge to the East Peak and until you start descending between East summit and Osceola summit. We descended to the Chimney, and took the detour. Even if you had an Ice axe, there was a frozen water fall over the chimney that looked like it would have sprung if you tried to climb it. We chose the detour and this was pretty sketchy. It was much easier ascending than descending. Once over the Chimney, the trail ascends rather steeply to the summit. At one point I stopped to rest, turned around and had an awesome view of Mt. Washington. The summit of Osceola was calm and sunny. It was an awesome trip, one of the most difficult hikes I have done. It took us 8-1/2 hours, but was well worth it and I will certainly go back again.

Trail Head
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070056.JPG

View of cliffs of Osceola's North Spur from the Slide
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070016.JPG

First view of Mt. Washington from outlook on the ridge before East Peak
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070021.JPG

Another view from outlook
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070026.JPG

View of Osceola Summit from outlook
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070027.JPG

Summit of East Peak!
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070030.JPG

Washington from upper Osceola Trail 5 minutes from the summit...
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070033.JPG

Summit of Osceola with Washington in background
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070037.JPG

Melting Rime Ice
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070042.JPG

View of the Chimney from the Summit
2003_0129OsceolaPeaks0107070053.JPG

Last edited:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Nice trip and great TR and pics! I did this trip as well in that direction in winter and we were socked in with snow and no views at all, so I'm glad you had such a great day. :)

montvm

Nice trip and great TR and pics! I did this trip as well in that direction in winter and we were socked in with snow and no views at all, so I'm glad you had such a great day. :)

You will have to go back and do the trip again sometime when the weather is good, the views from the outlook on East and on the summit of Osceola were very impresive. We just got lucky with the weather...:grin:

MAD777

Great trip report and pics! I'm glad you had good viewing weather.

I've hiked Greely ponds trail which I think is one of the really nice notch trails and I've hiked Osceola from the Waterville Valley side. Neither of my legs are as young as they used to be, therefore I've avoided the route you took. So it was extra nice to see your pictures from the north side.

Thanks for the report.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Very nice pics!

Funny how the direction you came is polar opposite of the southern approach from Tripoli RD. That approach is one of the easiest of all the 4000 footers!!!

That chimney is exciting isn't it? :razz: When I did it I was heading the other way to East Osceola.. and everything I had encountered up to that was real easy then all of a sudden.. CHIMNEY!

montvm

Great trip report and pics! I'm glad you had good viewing weather.

I've hiked Greely ponds trail which I think is one of the really nice notch trails and I've hiked Osceola from the Waterville Valley side. Neither of my legs are as young as they used to be, therefore I've avoided the route you took. So it was extra nice to see your pictures from the north side.

Thanks for the report.

Mad777,

Thansk for the response. Yeah i would have rather of done this from Tripoli rd side but not an option. I'm glad that we hiked if from the otherside. I had been going to the gym regularly, and about two months before this trip stopped due to working overtime, and general lack of commitment. I was sore for three days after this trip, and i started back today before work, stair master and leg regiment that i was doing before.

The cliffs on the North Spur where really cool, the pictures that i have don't do it justice, therefore i did not include them, although they are in my album on the site which can be viewed by all....

Mike P.

In winter the Tripoli road section can be skiied making the road walk less of a bother. I've done the trip to East O twice in winter, the first time we did not go over to Osceola. Neither day had great views although the 2nd time it started to clear on our way back. The cliffs are very impressive.

Bob (another moderator here) and another friend did both Osceola's on a good day a couple of May's ago via the entire Mt. Osceola Trail & back to a spotted car at Livermore Road via Greeley Ponds.

montvm

In winter the Tripoli road section can be skiied making the road walk less of a bother. I've done the trip to East O twice in winter, the first time we did not go over to Osceola. Neither day had great views although the 2nd time it started to clear on our way back. The cliffs are very impressive.

Bob (another moderator here) and another friend did both Osceola's on a good day a couple of May's ago via the entire Mt. Osceola Trail & back to a spotted car at Livermore Road via Greeley Ponds.

Cross country skis, now thats an idea! I never would have thought it because i don't own any. We deffinatly lucked out weather wise. Couldn't have asked for better. This probably would have been a good day to do Washington, for views anyways. I think that next monday i will do something closer to my house. For me going to the whites for a day trip is a long day. I was up and 2:50am for this trip, picked my buddy up, and we did start hiking until almost 7:30am. Well worth it though, especially when you have views like we did!!!!!:p

montvm

Very nice pics!

Funny how the direction you came is polar opposite of the southern approach from Tripoli RD. That approach is one of the easiest of all the 4000 footers!!!

That chimney is exciting isn't it? :razz: When I did it I was heading the other way to East Osceola.. and everything I had encountered up to that was real easy then all of a sudden.. CHIMNEY!

Curious to know if what I did, Osceola trail from the Kank side is really as difficult as i thought it was or if i'm just really out of shape, ( I think it's a bit of both).....The trail was pretty freakin steap after the slide......

The Chimney was cool. I can't wait to go back and go up and down it when conditions are better....

MAD777

Osceola is steep!

I have been told personally by Steve Smith (owner of Mountain Wanderer Bookstore in Lincoln and the editor of the AMC White Mountain Guide) that Osceola from the Kanc is one of the toughest hikes in the White Mountains. That's exactly why I went up the Waterville Valley side.

So, YOU DA MAN!

montvm

I have been told personally by Steve Smith (owner of Mountain Wanderer Bookstore in Lincoln and the editor of the AMC White Mountain Guide) that Osceola from the Kanc is one of the toughest hikes in the White Mountains. That's exactly why I went up the Waterville Valley side.

So, YOU DA MAN!

Ok I guess that i don't feel so bad about how long it took us to get to the summit....

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net

So, YOU DA MAN!

Oh great you just had to say that didn't you? :) Now I will feel tempted to climb it :)

Mike P.

After being up East 2x & Osceola once in the winter, I'm not planning a return trip via the Kanc, I'll work on the Bonds, Jefferson, Washington & Owl's Head instead