• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

School me on tights/knickers

BackLoafRiver

bvibert

Staff member
I have no idea what's good, but I've gotten by using my skiing base layer, over a padded liner, and under baggies for MTB. My base layers are CW-X, or something similar.

I bet those bib tights would be even better!

BackLoafRiver

I never wanted to be the lycra guy but had to give up on baggies after last season. Maybe I just need to re-evaluate and try some other brands.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't do the roadie thing, yet, but I could see doing the lycra thing for that. For MTB baggies work just fine for me.

I like the idea of the bibs.

mlctvt

I've got at least 5 pair of tights each a little different thickness/construction. Usually I purchase tights without chamois so I can wear my normal bib shorts under them. Others like my wife prefer to get tights with chamois.
I ride with shorts over 65 degrees. My thinnest tights are used for riding when its 55-65 degrees, then I’ve got a mid-weight pair for 50-60 degrees and then thermal fleece type for under 48 degrees or so. I usually don’t ride if it’s under mid-30s.

Pearl Izumi brand are very good, especially their thermal fleece. The pair you linked to would be good for temps under 45-50 degrees but may be a bit much for temps over mid-50 degrees. The Amfib type have a different material on the front that helps cut the wind. These are my preferred tights for under 45-50 degrees. I have the non-bib version, the bib version would be a little warmer due to more coverage on the front but you can adjust your base layer and jersey/jacket accordingly.

crank

+1 to above. Wear your tights, under armor, hot chilies, whatever under your baggies. I also have roadie style shorts I wear underneath sweats.

snoseek

20 dollar fleece pants I wear over chamois, bonus they are super comfy kicking around the house. I tuck the right leg into a sock (I ride in ski socks when its cold) to avoid snagging on drivetrain. Cheap, comfy and warm