• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alchemist Cannery Closed to Public

HD333

Tailgating at a Pats game we hooked up with some folks next to us for some cornhole and general hijinks. They had a cooler full of HT and other VT Brews. I told my dad the back story on HT. I traded some Steel Rail for a HT. When we got home my old man handed me his cooler and says to throw the beers in my fridge, 4 HT's inside!!! Unbeknownst to me he finagled some type of trade with those guys. The good news is my Dad hates hoppy beers so they are all mine.....Sadly I only have one left.

Huck_It_Baby

I thought it was horrible when I stopped at the cannery. I couldnt even finish the sample glass....:beer::what:

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

It's a unique taste and I know a few people who aren't into it. I found that I started enjoying it more with each one I drink. However it's not a beer you generally are going to drink many of in one sitting in my opinion.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/dont-worry-elusive-heady-topper-may-soon-be-easier-buy

There may be some hope for increased supply----any idea how far South into VT or even NH this stuff is available?

My understanding was that it was only available in VT. Maybe that will change now that 100% of the inventory will be shipped out to vendors but not likely.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, most Double IPAs I only have a couple of before switching to something else. It's my favorite style of beer, but not one you can drink much of before feeling full and "hopped out".

drjeff

My understanding was that it was only available in VT. Maybe that will change now that 100% of the inventory will be shipped out to vendors but not likely.

The folks at the Alchemist have said on the web and FB page that even though for the short run they'll have more inventory to be sent out to the distributors, that they won't be expanding distribution out of VT, or even expanding it more into Southern VT :(

The plan that they're working on is quickly getting a new facility open on Route 100 where people will be able to buy freshly canned HT like they have been at the brewery, and at the same time won't be causing as much of a traffic inconvience to local residents

Huck_It_Baby

FB:

HEADY NEWS!
While the Cannery is on break from doing retail themselves... we are going to get extra Heady to spread the joy!

Starting---> POSSIBLY <---- next week we are going to be able to do case sales again.
We will also be doing this at a reduced price of $74.99 a case.
( plus dep & tax ..blah blah)

Stay tuned here for dates when this will be happening !

Riverskier

$74.99 for a case of beer, that is a reduced price, and people are lining up out the door to buy it??? Holy crap! That must be some damn tasty beer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last 4 pack I bought was for $15 so $80 a case is a good deal. They are 16 oz cans but yes its expensive beer.

Huck_It_Baby

Last 4 pack I bought was for $15 so $80 a case is a good deal. They are 16 oz cans but yes its expensive beer.

I typically pay 15-16 for the 4 pack.

I think 80 is a great deal for HT! I have friends in upstate NY who are willing to pay 4-5 times the regular price!

drjeff

The fact that they are 16's is significant, but still pricey. I am a huge IPA fan though, so hopefully someday I have the opportunity to try it.

Let's put it this way. At the Mount Snow Brewer's Festival this past Labor Day weekend, they had a VIP section, where everyone who purchased the VIP admission received a can of Heady when they 1st entered the VIP area. My wife, who usually isn't a beer fan (Vodka is her thing ;) ) upon tasting Heady for the 1st time said "this is by far the BEST beer i've ever had!" and then asked me why I don't buy any of it at home (in CT!) ;)

It lives up to it's hype, especially if you love hoppy beers!

crank

I for one am tired of IPA's and really did not enjoy the one can of Heady Topper I tried last year. The beer world has gone hop crazy it seems and I am sure (hopeful anyway) it will eventually come back to middle ground. Give me an Otter Creek Copper Ale and I am a happy camper.

HD333

I for one am tired of IPA's and really did not enjoy the one can of Heady Topper I tried last year. The beer world has gone hop crazy it seems and I am sure (hopeful anyway) it will eventually come back to middle ground. Give me an Otter Creek Copper Ale and I am a happy camper.

Like DHS said, a big IPA is a nice start. Nothing wrong with following it up with a few nice smooth Cooper Ales or Switchbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Huck_It_Baby

The beer world has gone hop crazy it seems and I am sure (hopeful anyway) it will eventually come back to middle ground.

I think this is very true. IPA is huge!

I'm not complaining though. Nothing compares in my book to a hoppy, above normal ABV IPA.

snoseek

I can only drink that stuff if I'm gonna just have one...even then its kind of gross. For some reason I do like switchback ale, I could drink like three of those no problem. I still like Coors or miller best, sorry. Oh and that Dales Pale ale is just fucking disgusting!!!!

Edd

I'm not complaining though. Nothing compares in my book to a hoppy, above normal ABV IPA.

Agreed. Once it gets to 9% or higher though, I'm out. There's probably a reason for this but they seem to taste maltier when the booze approaches double digits.

drjeff

Agreed. Once it gets to 9% or higher though, I'm out. There's probably a reason for this but they seem to taste maltier when the booze approaches double digits.

All depends on both the style and the "talent" of the Brewmaster to me at least!

If you take say a BIG Barleywine that's at 9% or above, to me that tastes more booze like than say an 80 proof or higher whiskey or bourbon - totally does nothing for me

If you take say a GOOD IPA or Double IPA such as a Heady or Stone's drink by such and such a date IPA's which are in the 9-10% range those taste very smooth and crisp to me. Heck, I had the A-10 warthog Double IPA from opa opa a few weeks ago and I never would of guessed that it was a 13%+ beer! Very smooth with the right amount for me of hoppiness!

Same thing with some high ABV Stouts - if balanced properly with a good flavor profile of malts and hops and possibly other aging techniques, you can get a very smooth 10%+ beer that most folks would swear is 5% or less!

A good brewmaster can do some amazing things! :beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Riverskier

Agreed! Hoppy IPA's are far and away my favorite beer style. Around 7% ABV seems to pretty much be my sweet spot for session beers. I guess my drinking has adapted to higher alcohol content. With 9%+ ABV beers I am more apt to be one and done, and then move onto something else.

For those that haven't tried it, I highly recomend Baxter Brewing's Stowaway IPA. It is my absolute favorite $10 six pack beer. They are out of Lewiston ME and can all of their beer. Perfect for stuffing in your pockets for the ski lift!

Geoff

Agreed! Hoppy IPA's are far and away my favorite beer style.

I really don't like American-style IPAs. It's the beer-equivalent of putting Sriracha chili sauce on everything. I like big-flavorful beers that don't spike the IBU chart. You're welcome to the Dogfish Head. I think it's like painting Thum on the rim of your beer glass.

300.JPG

xwhaler

For those that haven't tried it, I highly recomend Baxter Brewing's Stowaway IPA. It is my absolute favorite $10 six pack beer. They are out of Lewiston ME and can all of their beer. Perfect for stuffing in your pockets for the ski lift!

Great stuff! Got some this summer when I was up near Sugarloaf at my buddy's lake house. I've seen it as far south in ME as Ogunquit but haven't seen it in NH yet---though to be fair most of my shopping for beer is in my local Market Basket.