computer buffs, help needed!

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

computer buffs, help needed!

I'm in the market for a laptop. My only requirement is that it connects to the Internet and is able to support quick books. I'm not computer say at all, so the simpler the better. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Bene288 View Post
    I'm in the market for a laptop. My only requirement is that it connects to the Internet and is able to support quick books. I'm not computer say at all, so the simpler the better. Any recommendations?

How much do you want to spend?
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

As little as possible without buying a total piece of junk. I'm not sure what a good laptop goes for. Would $600 buy something halfway decent? It's really just for word processing, invoice and Internet use. Typical small business needs.

As little as possible without buying a total piece of junk. I'm not sure what a good laptop goes for. Would $600 buy something halfway decent? It's really just for word processing, invoice and Internet use. Typical small business needs.
    300 would probably get something halfway decent.

sent from my S4
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

Storage space is key. Processor is important but not super critical for your needs. Apple products are out of the question in that price rangeunless a refurb. I would go with something like this. Any manufacturer, the big ones are fine for what you need.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/satellit...0000&cp=1&lp=7

Remember, upgrading a laptop after the fact, can be costly.
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Try and get a Laptop with Windows 7 still. Windows 8 Sucks! I have had to take off so many laptops and put Win 7 on it so they would run properly. Dell still sells some with Win 7.

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Try and get a Laptop with Windows 7 still. Windows 8 Sucks! I have had to take off so many laptops and put Win 7 on it so they would run properly. Dell still sells some with Win 7.
    I have Windows 8.1 and the only issue is that one utility I use for work needs an update (worked fine with win8 ). The start screen takes some getting used to and IMO is more cumbersome than the start menu, but I plan on getting a touch screen monitor at some point which will make it more worthwhile.

I had found an HP with windows 7. But I was told HPs are junk. Most of the cheaper ones I've looked at have a 1.5 processor, is that sufficient for a program like quick books? Puckit, what do you mean by updating? Do you mean adding storage and such? Sorry if these questions sound childish, not tech savy at all.

I had found an HP with windows 7. But I was told HPs are junk. Most of the cheaper ones I've looked at have a 1.5 processor, is that sufficient for a program like quick books? Puckit, what do you mean by updating? Do you mean adding storage and such? Sorry if these questions sound childish, not tech savy at all.
    I mean if you find you need more storage or dram is not enough. HP's are ok. Their customer service sucks. Dell has good customer service.

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

So, do you travel at all with your laptop? I have an ultrabook for general purpose work, (my desktop still serves the biggest purposes for me photo editing etc.).

The downsides are smaller screen and smaller hard drive, but the upside is they are super thin, like a magazine. I have a Samsung Series 9 I think I paid $700 for. They are way cheaper now. I absolutely love it.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information