• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

White Cap Range-20 Mile Day over 100 Mile Wilderness's Highest Summits 11.9.13

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I've been up White Cap several times but haven't seen rest of the range since my thru hike in 99. By linking up other trails with AT and some logging roads I found a long loop that I wanted to tackle in a day. White Cap is the crown of the range with good views in all directions on a good day. I had views in all directions except toward Katahdin which was obscured with clouds and snow. At 3654' White Cap is highest peak between the Bigelows and Katahdin and 5th most prominent in Maine. The AT is definitely not as steep in the White Caps as it is in other ranges, the elevation gets higher in increments and a lot of it is gained slowly following Gulf Hagas Stream . The lowly Barren-Chairback Range to the south is a more challenging traverse.

Early winter conditions were present most of the hike. I have a full trip report and lots of pics at my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/11/hiking-white-cap-range-solitude-in-100.html