• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Solitude, Utah: Nov. 10, 2013

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Solitude, Utah

Dates: November 10, 2013

Conditions: PP/MG

Weather: Sunny, temps in the 30-40's.

Report No: 1

On Tuesday I got a notice on Facebook saying that Solitude was opening for the weekend with four trails and three lifts for $39. I could not resist. Now that I'm married with a kid, skiing takes some planning. My wife could see I was really jonesin, so she smiled and said to go for it.

I decided to go on Sunday instead of Saturday thinking that most Utahns would be in church. That is always a nice treat for me. And unlike the spring when you are slow to get ready to go, because you're kind of burned out, I was ready. I got the skis waxed and sharpened one evening, made final adjustments to the ski rack on the car, got the boots and gear ready to go and out front, and went to bed early content on getting up as soon as I could.

It's funny how you can't get out of bed to go to work, but getting up at the same time, if not earlier, to go skiing is never a problem.

Got on the road and was set for a bit longer drive than for Snowbird. It ended up only being 3 miles further one way, but those who have driven Big Cottonwood Canyon know that it is not always a fast or easy drive. I got behind 8 cars with skis and boards heading up. All but two went to Brighton. I got there at about 8:30 and had rockstar parking:

ry%3D400

My first impressions of Solitude was that it was a nice, clean place. The lodge was very new and the two HSQ's that were open delivered many great runs with literally a 3-4 minute ride (Brighton only had one run off of a fixed grip quad for $2 less, so I figured that $2 gave me a bit more terrain and faster lifts).

Got on the snow, stepped in, and had that feeling that we all have on the first day--that fleeting second when you wonder, "do I remember how to do this?" I kicked off, glided to the lift, and grabbed the second chair of the day. Everyone--the lifties, skiers, and riders were all very excited to be there.

The terrain that was available was limited to a "triangle" in the middle of the resort: Apex, Moonbeam, and Link lifts served Diamond Lane (a tiny bit), Same Street, Little Dollie, and Easy Street. Here's the map.

I spent the next four hours yo-yoing between the lifts....rotating between Apex and Moonbeam Express lifts. Solitude offered probably just shy of 1,000 vertical of skiing and it was typical machine groomed "eastern packed powder" with no thin spots. The first 90 minutes was not too crowded. Most of the day I skied right onto the lifts.

It was a bluebird day. I heard that Solitude opened, in part, because of some new snowmaking work and I think they wanted to show it off. Nearly everyone I talked with were passholders at other places--mainly Alta and Snowbird. I've got no idea how many runs I got in, but I went pretty much non-stop and was able to ski each run without stopping which really shocked me. In the past I'd have to stop at least once on runs during the first day. But the Monsters were ready to run the snow....and so were my legs.

All in all, a nice place. They have guns ready to go on other terrain and they only need a few cold nights or a good storm to open up some more terrain. Very friendly, very clean, and nice vibe. I will be back!

Some pictures:

Waiting for first run:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Looking down from Apex:

ry%3D400

Little Dollie:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Waiting....

ry%3D400

Apex Base:

ry%3D400

Apex:

ry%3D400

All smiles:

ry%3D400

Same Street:

ry%3D400

Welcome Back!

ry%3D400

Groomers taking a break:

ry%3D400

Easy Street:

ry%3D400

Tailgating:

ry%3D400

WJenness

I laughed at the "do i still remember how to do this" moment... Had that thought stepping off the Barker lift on Saturday. :)

Glad you had a goof first day! So happy the season is back!

drjeff

I laughed at the "do i still remember how to do this" moment... Had that thought stepping off the Barker lift on Saturday. :)

Glad you had a goof first day! So happy the season is back!

Purely for TB's sake on this one, once your kid(s) get old enough to ski, the first day of the season your "do I still remember how to do this?" moment turns into a "Do I still - cr@p!! there goes the kid(s)!!! Time for full throttle NOW!" moment! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Purely for TB's sake on this one, once your kid(s) get old enough to ski, the first day of the season your "do I still remember how to do this?" moment turns into a "Do I still - cr@p!! there goes the kid(s)!!! Time for full throttle NOW!" moment! :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah tell me about it. My little girl just turned two and she was running around the family room at mass tonight. That, and her looks, should give you an indication that in a few years I WILL be having to chase her around the mountain:

ry%3D400

Forget about when she is a teenager.....

#imsoscrewed ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
And muscle memory is amazing. I had no problems at all. Just eased back into it. First turns were nice and easy. Felt so good!

Edd

Solitude is fantastic IMO. Pound for pound, it's a pretty solid ski area, even by western standards.

keyser soze

Agreed EDD. I was at Solitude last year on a storm day. Most everybdy else were at Alta and Snowbird while Solitude was uncrowded as usual. Great place that is never crowded.

4aprice

Solitude is fantastic IMO. Pound for pound, it's a pretty solid ski area, even by western standards.

Huge fan of Solitude and glad you made it up there TB BUT you have to go back when the Honeycomb Canyon is open. Almost didn't recognize the parking lot because I've never seen it with so little snow. BCC is a prettier drive then LCC especially with the switchback.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

wa-loaf

I think the lift set-up is kind of weird at Solitude, but the side country is pretty sweet and was skiing nice pow where Alta/Snowbird had been skied off already.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Huge fan of Solitude and glad you made it up there TB BUT you have to go back when the Honeycomb Canyon is open. Almost didn't recognize the parking lot because I've never seen it with so little snow. BCC is a prettier drive then LCC especially with the switchback.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I think that both drives are scenic for different reasons. And yes, I do need to go back to ski Honeycomb Canyon.

I think the lift set-up is kind of weird at Solitude, but the side country is pretty sweet and was skiing nice pow where Alta/Snowbird had been skied off already.

I, and many others, were saying that yesterday. They put in three new lifts in 2008 and 2010--two new HSQ's and one fixed grip quad. The realignment really makes no sense because you have three HSQ's dumping skiers in essentially the middle of the mountain. The Apex one is pretty dumb IMHO because it terminates on a knob maybe 300 vertical feet above Moonbeam. They should have run Apex up to the top of Powderhorn. They should have also replaced the Sunrise Triple with an HSQ since you have to ride it to get to the summit.

The lift setup is a double-edged sword for those who want to ski the slackcountry of Honeycomb. It's good because it reduces traffic and deters folks from doing many laps. Hence, why the snow holds better there. It sucks because skiers have to ride at least three lifts to do one run there. And at least two would be slower fixed grips--you have to ride at least Sunrise and Summit. If you take Honeycomb Return that is three. And most of the skiing between the lifts is merely going from lift-to-lift instead of hitting something you want.

If I had to guess Solitude, who is still owned by a local family, was looking for the most bang for the buck with the work in 2008-2010. The HSQ's are very short, as is the new Powderhorn II. But I think they wanted to replace three old, slow fixed grips with three lifts instead of one long HSQ. Having to ride two lifts to get to the top of both summits does keep traffic down. So it makes sense from that, and a money, angle.

wa-loaf

Nevermind. I'm a dumbass and was talking about Brighton ... I've skied Solitude, but it's been over 10 years. Brighton we were taking the Great Western lift and skiing out the gate at the top. Nice chutes and steep stuff followed by a bunch of low angle trees you can rip through. I always get those two mixed up ...

4aprice

Nevermind. I'm a dumbass and was talking about Brighton ... I've skied Solitude, but it's been over 10 years. Brighton we were taking the Great Western lift and skiing out the gate at the top. Nice chutes and steep stuff followed by a bunch of low angle trees you can rip through. I always get those two mixed up ...

Brighton is great for skiing during a storm. Hard Coin off the Snake Creek lift is one awesome tree run especially with fresh snow every ride up. Need to check out these goodies Wa-Loaf speaks of as I'm pretty sure I know where they are but haven't ventured out there yet.

As far as the Solitude lift layout situation, I have mixed feelings. I like the new (several years old now) fixed quad (Powderhorn II) up from the top of Moonbeam compared to the old (long, slow) double from the base. Getting to the summit chair is the problem. I happen to enjoy the Sunrise area so I would hate to see that lift taken out. A HSQ with a bend (Like the gondola at Canyons) from the base would be the best but I'm not sure I would like to see the amount of people that would put up there (especially at the entrance to Honeycomb). There are ways to access Summit from Powderhorn II and they are quite steep and fun too. Love talking BCC.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SKI-3PO

Definitely access Summit from Powderhorn II and avoid the painfully slow Sunrise.